Is it be an idiot on the road week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A Nutter

Gary Kenny - a cycling quizmaster
Had a near miss everyday but today was the worst

I've never being involved in road rage till today, near Kingston Park, Newcastle, about a mile and half frm tesco. Approaching a traffic island, not enuough room for both of us, so I signal to move into primary he flashes me in and I acknolowedge.

Then he idiot trys to overtake me, clips my back wheel, how i didnt fall off i dnt know! I signaled wind your window down, he didnt, which angered me, all I wanted was sorry and tell him to look up Rule 163!

So i took primary position, at 15mph so the c**t cudnt get past for a mile nd a half. Tbh i cud go a lot faster bt i wtned to p$%s him off.

So he coudn't get past till tesco at kingston park tesco!, where i done an obscene hand jesture towards him.
Could of been inmjured, just wish I wasn't soo p%$sed off and thought to get my phone out and took a picture of his reg plate and reported him to the police! not that would of done much!

Grrr

Sorry had to get it off my chest!

Apart from that was a great 40mile today to Ponteland, stopped ina lovely pub called The Diamond. Then was planning to go to Wylam but missed a turning. So a few harsh climbs in Northumberland and City Of Newcastle on country roads. Then we hit the A169 into Newcastle very fast moving dual carriageway and was extremely pleased with myself on it and how i handled it! I'm not a regular cyclist on dual carriageways!

ASC1951

Guru
A Nutter said:
So I took primary position, at 15mph so the c**t couldn't get past for a mile and a half.
I think you're just asking for trouble if you do that. OK he's a tosser but all you're doing is making yourself feel better without any other advantage - and with the real risk that he will do something stupid. He's a tosser with a ton of metal at his disposal, don't forget. What I do is block them for a few yards just to make the point then let them through.

OP
OP
A Nutter

A Nutter

Gary Kenny - a cycling quizmaster
Yeah looking back i should of, but I was so irrated! Sorry I didn't censor that either, did the rest!

Jonathan M

User3143 said:
Nutter

I don't want to sound patronizing or tell you how to ride but was it really worth it?

You mention the highway code rule 163, however the high way code also stats that a driver flashing their headlights is letting you know that they are there not necessarily letting you in.

You rode on for a mile and a half however what if the guy had got so annoyed that he ran into the back of you actually taking you off your bike and injuring you in the process? and what about the other motorists behind?

I don't understand why cyclists get so irate, it beggars belief. I cycle myself and come across all sorts of idiots on the road I just laugh it off and not let myself get wound up.

I suppose you could argue that me not having a go at a driver that drives like an idiot, leaves them to do the same thing to another cyclist. However I think that is down to the drivers actual mentality and that is something that is hard to change and I doubt that they would change the way they drive by me riding slowly for a mile and a half and jesturing at them with my hand.

From another perspective: About four months ago at about 0700hrs a driver cut up another driving in the roadworks that run from J6-J10 on the M1 about one mile after the roadworks ended one of the drivers gestured to the other driver and they both pulled up on the hard shoulder just north of J11 and started to have a fight one of them pulls a knife and kills the other. The bloke is now on remand in prison awaiting trial for murder.

Road rage whever it be cyclist or motorist: It really is not worth it.

Unless that part of the highway code has changed greatly, a flash of headlamps is to be taken as a warning in the same way the horn should be used.

Unfortunately in the UK both headlamps & horn are greatly misused. Headlamps get used as a courtesy - letting someone go for example, while horns are used in anger or by fat minicab drivers who cannot be arsed getting out of their cars to walk 10 steps and ring a doorbell.
It actually makes sense not to respond too quickly to a flashed headlight because the other driver may use the defence of warning, rather than coutesy.

In europe drivers don't seem to expect to be allowed to go, and if someone does give way, there usually won't be any headlamp flash - just a pause for the other vehicle to move. In the UK, this action can result in problems, cars turning right from a side road pulling out becuase they have been allowed to move, and then hitting the oncoming car.

Ask any emergency service driver how many accidents they are nearly involved in because some eejit driver sees a flash of headlights, blue lights & sirens completely miss them, so they move out on a vehicle. My sons godfather is a police driver, and the only accident he has had while driving on duty was responding to a call, when someone from a side street did exactly this to him - saw the headlights flashing and pulled out, despite blue lights & sirens being on at the same time.

Jonathan M

But you've just confirmed what i said in my post :wacko: - a flashed headlight is leeting someone know you are there ie a warning . Ditto with the horn, in fact the HC is much clearer on this matter: see below. So a minicab driver shouldn't use his horn in that manner. It isn't to attract attention, its a warning.
"

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
  • while stationary on the road
  • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
except when another road user poses a danger."

Top Bottom