Is it better to pay cash for bike on eBay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
As a buyer? I won an auction and the system says it is ready to make payment which I can do via PayPal. Just wondering if it is worth asking the seller if he prefers cash on collection. Just thinking if it is somehow not as described in any way it would be easier to not complete the transaction having not paid but then I think PayPal is quite good at getting a refund isn't it?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, do cash on collection. In my experience, PayPal comes down on the side of the seller often

Reactions: C R

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having been stung last year with a bike in a far worse state than described I would prefer cash on collection. However, for the wheels I bought today, which are fine, the seller wanted payment in advance.

As a buyer? I won an auction and the system says it is ready to make payment which I can do via PayPal. Just wondering if it is worth asking the seller if he prefers cash on collection. Just thinking if it is somehow not as described in any way it would be easier to not complete the transaction having not paid but then I think PayPal is quite good at getting a refund isn't it?

Ebay now has a qr code/ 6-8 digit code that you pass to the seller in completing the transaction if collecting and this gets them a) their fees and b) proof that the item has actually been passed over.

I also believe for buyers they now have a refund guarantee scheme.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As a seller I would far prefer cash. A buyer could pontentially pay via paypal the claim they
never got the item they picked up, and paypal /
ebay would likely refund.

I've nearly always done this for expensive items be it buying or selling, if item is being picked up

Jody

Stubborn git
I'd pay on Paypal. At least you have some level of protection over a cash sale.

Bought some trainers on Ebay that turned out to be snide, contacted Paypal who asked for evidence and then gave me a full refund and told me to keep the item.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd pay on Paypal. At least you have some level of protection over a cash sale.

Bought some trainers on Ebay that turned out to be snide, contacted Paypal who asked for evidence and then gave me a full refund and told me to keep the item.

For pick up? The thread title asks specifically about buying bikes :smile:

Years ago I did receive payment for one bike via PayPal and met the buyer to hand over. Another sale via Paypal friends and family, she paid when I handed the bike over upon delivery. Otherwise always cash when selling or buying bikes. I’ll never personally offer delivery so a distance sale with payment via PP goods and services won’t happen :smile:
I did use PP to pay for the Gran Fondo but that was coming from an established LBS so no risk

Jody

Stubborn git
For pick up? The thread title asks specifically about buying bikes :smile:

Years ago I did receive payment for one bike via PayPal and met the buyer to hand over. Another sale via Paypal friends and family, she paid when I handed the bike over upon delivery. Otherwise always cash when selling or buying bikes. I’ll never personally offer delivery so a distance sale with payment via PP goods and services won’t happen :smile:
I did use PP to pay for the Gran Fondo but that was coming from an established LBS so no risk

An item is an item. Pay in advance and if it isn't as described get Paypal to refund it. At least there is some level of buyer protection over cash hand over.

It's hard to extract cash back out of someone if there is an issue.

Lozz360

Veteran
The advice saying pay cash on collection should be qualified, in as much, as you will have no protection from eBay if you subsequently have problems.

The only time I’ve received negative feedback on eBay is when I sold an ebike. The buyer met me at my address, took it for a test ride and then paid cash for the agreed amount. 24 days later the buyer contacted me claiming that I had been dishonest about the state of the battery as it needed replacing. I certainly hadn’t been dishonest. The buyer wanted a full refund and complained to eBay. eBay were not interested in helping the buyer as they considered that the sale had been conducted outside of their platform, ie cash was paid.

Just as an off topic point. I sold the used ebike in good faith. The battery seemed fine when I sold it. I made it very clear in the advert that the battery wasn’t new. Had the buyer contacted me within, say, a week of collection and informed me that the battery was knackered, I would have considered contributing in part or whole to a new battery. The fact the buyer waited 24 days and very aggressively claimed that I had deliberately miss sold the item, they ended up with nothing.

vickster

Legendary Member

What’s the value of the bike?

I wouldn't pay for anything cycling related until I have been over it with a fine tooth combe in person
Especially Full Bike.. Cash or Transfer
It could be tricky either way if the seller is a Shyster

Top Bottom