Is it likely...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...that a club/group ride would ask a rider they don't know to join their bunch?

I did my weekend "long" ride today (nice 30 miles to Congleton), and got passed by a bunch as I was taking a picture of the bike in front of Astbury church. Got back on and pedalled away, and passed the same bunch sorting themselves out after a stop - as I rode past, one of them said something, but the only word I heard sounded like "ours" - (at the time, I thought it was "arse", and was somewhat insecurely wondering if they were mocking mine, or saying that they'd soon be overtaking me, or summat).

Didn't see any club colours, although a few of them were wearing Giordana kit, from what I saw. (If it was any of you, sorry for laughing nervously and increasing my cadence instead of responding - I was the bloke huffing along on an SCR2 with yellow tyres wearing a red Descente top :wacko: )

Lots of people out enjoying the fine weather today - passed another big bunch as they headed towards Smallwood, I was doing my finest "Enfer du Cheshire" through the potholes on that bit...

it usually works the other way, if they catch you tag on and start talking to those at the back and ask if it's ok if you ride with them for a bit.
if you catch them, especially in our area, it's probably best to tag on for a bit, it you go straight past they can see it as an excuse for a race/ teach you a lesson:biggrin:
the main thing is to say hello or something, theres nothing gets some peoples backs up than a rider going past and saying nothing.

I was pootling with Mrs wrx the other week and a big bunch from Lancs RC (Red Rose Wheels or summat, I dunno) went past, one joked 'Come on, jump on !'

On my own, yes I could have.
Mrs wrx however wouldn't be able to, no doubt why he made the joke based on the fact she was wearing no lycra and on a hybrid and we were going slow.
If however they'd met us on the tandem...;)

Top Bottom