Is my bike too big if the frame touches my crotch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Tynan said:
I wouldn't want to ride a bike that I couldn't stand over, that'd be bloody akward in any sort of traffic etc

Neither would I.

I'd be on the phone to the shop/ supplier telling 'em I wanted a smaller framed bike, and telling 'em to take this one back.

I prefer my delicate bits to stay the shape they are.

OP
OP
G

gabefleming

Sounds like wise words people. The bike's going back, which leaves me riding my mate's Orange Sub Zero MTB to work for at least another week. It's a lovely bike, but feels a bit like bringing a lawnmower to a skateboad convention, ho hum

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
gabefleming said:
Sounds like wise words people. The bike's going back, which leaves me riding my mate's Orange Sub Zero MTB to work for at least another week. It's a lovely bike, but feels a bit like bringing a lawnmower to a skateboad convention, ho hum

Good decision, I know I'm a lady but I ride a Specialized Sirrus as well and the clearance is definitely needed.

Bigtwin

Wait a minute here.

The top tube at the saddle end is about the height of the back wheel.

You have a less than 27" inside leg standing in your shoes?

Or are you cycling in boxer shorts too much?

Davidc

Guru
Bigtwin said:
Wait a minute here.

The top tube at the saddle end is the height of the back wheel.

You have a less than 27" inside leg?

If you slide off the saddle you don't stand at the back, you're nearer the front.

I'd always want enough crotch clearance for comfort if I either had to stand on the ground quickly(eg ped stepping off kerb in front of me), or worse if the front wheel hit something and I shot off forwards (e.g pothole or back bumper of a car). In both cases legs and tender bits tend to be near the front.

Bigtwin

Davidc said:
If you slide off the saddle you don't stand at the back, you're nearer the front.

I'd always want enough crotch clearance for comfort if I either had to stand on the ground quickly(eg ped stepping off kerb in front of me), or worse if the front wheel hit something and I shot off forwards (e.g pothole or back bumper of a car). In both cases legs and tender bits tend to be near the front.

If you slide forwards on account of a pot hole, the top tube will be the least of your worries. It's the danglers/steerer/stem interface that will bring a cheer to your face...

Davidc

Guru
Bigtwin said:
If you slide forwards on account of a pot hole, the top tube will be the least of your worries. It's the danglers/steerer/stem interface that will bring a cheer to your face...

Depends on speed.

Did you ever meet stem shifters? basically levers like downtube or bar-end ones, but on the stem. If you had the front on large chainwheel and the rear on the largest sprocket you had 2 little blunt knives aimed at your crotch!

That was something to really worry about. (I never had them, but saw quite a few on other peoples bikes)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I intended buying a Sirrus but I also have short legs compared to my height and found the Sirrus i could stand over felt short in the reach.

Just bought a Trek Valencia which seemed beter designed for a
short legs/long body and arms person.

Bigtwin

Davidc said:
Depends on speed.

Did you ever meet stem shifters? basically levers like downtube or bar-end ones, but on the stem. If you had the front on large chainwheel and the rear on the largest sprocket you had 2 little blunt knives aimed at your crotch!

That was something to really worry about. (I never had them, but saw quite a few on other peoples bikes)

Speed + weight = momentum. It doesn't take a lot of the former for me to be able to cover those few precious inches to make the meat meet the metal :blush:

Yes - had some of those on an old Raleigh. Nice to use when on the bar tops, but yes, a bit "inviting" for the dough-balls....

Bit like people who drive around with empty cycle racks on the back of cars, waiting for a chance to turn cyclists/motorcyclists into cocktail sausages when they overtake then slam the brakes on. One of my favourites that one...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'm also 5'7" and ride a 58cm 'medium' bike (with a shorter stem) perfectly happily. it's an old school flat top tube too. the only downside is that i don't have a metre of seat post to attach all those lights, saddlebags etc…

Top Bottom