Is my Chain Ring worn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Novice here and I can never seem to tell. Had the LBS replace chain and cassette 6 weeks ago but it keeps slipping in the middle gears. Can't remember if he changed the chain ring so was wondering if not then that could be causing it.

Adding a pic of cassette in case anything looks untoward there also. Bit of oil still on the middle rings. Surely that wouldn't cause it to slip. It's pretty much every 20 seconds when in the middle ish gears.

Attachments

• 20220810_182126.jpg
    20220810_182126.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220810_182130.jpg
    20220810_182130.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Novice here and I can never seem to tell. Had the LBS replace chain and cassette 6 weeks ago but it keeps slipping in the middle gears. Can't remember if he changed the chain ring so was wondering if not then that could be causing it.

Adding a pic of cassette in case anything looks untoward there also. Bit of oil still on the middle rings. Surely that wouldn't cause it to slip. It's pretty much every 20 seconds when in the middle ish gears.

Here's a pic of a new one to compare of I've picked the right model.

truvativ_chainring_mtb_38t_s1_104_49_al5_no_pin_10sp.jpg

Your visual judgement is probably as good as anyone else's!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The chainring is worn. If you look at the teeth on it you can see that they resemble the shape of sharks fins.
Time for a new one.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I would beg to disagree.

Yes, the chainring is worn, but it's not so worn as to slip, like this was (slipping damaged the worst teeth some more).
chainring-1.jpg

Also, if it's the chainring, it should slip whichever rear cog you're using.
If it's slipping at regular intervals, check the chain for a stiff link.

Jody

Stubborn git
Given its a single chainring you might as well swap it for the small amount they cost.

T4tomo

Guru
Also, if it's the chainring, it should slip whichever rear cog you're using.
If it's slipping at regular intervals, check the chain for a stiff link.

OP state new chain (Ok may not exclude a stiff link but makes it unlikely)

chain angle to outer cogs might give it enough grip not to slip on narrow wide teeth, but still slip on middle of cassette?

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Took it to bike shop he said it was the tension in the gear cable. He had it on the stand and was spinning it whilst talking to me and then said 'right, try that and it should be ok'. Had to ask what he had done. Anyway it solved it. Rides like a dream again.

Top Bottom