Is test ride necessary?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armin

Hi everybody

I am trying to purchase a second-hand carbon road bike (1000£ 2000£). I could find some good bikes on e-bay but this means that I cannot do a test ride. I am trying to understand if I can just relay on the bike size which fits me and buy one of those bikes online or a test ride is necessary?

Is there any other place where I can find second-hand road bikes?

Any idea is highly appreciated!

Armin

aberal

Guru
Test ride before you buy. Bikes can look fabulous on a website and get great reviews, but until you have ridden it you will never know whether it is the bike for you. Some bikes look fab but are complete dogs to ride. Try test riding the bike you fancy in your LBS even if you are buying second hand.

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't test mine as it wasn't built but I was fitted on an equivalent. I don't have any sphere of reference but I can go back to the lbs as much as needed for tweaks and changes

vickster

Legendary Member
That also seems a good budget for a carbon bike new as they start around a grand no? Look at the boardmans for example

I didn't test mine as it wasn't built but I was fitted on an equivalent. I don't have any sphere of reference but I can go back to the lbs as much as needed for tweaks and changes

Same here, I never did either and I'm kinda glad I didn't; first ride on the drops felt horrible and I thought I'd made a mistake but I love the bike now and by the 2nd ride I was describing it as responsive.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally too I would be very wary of carbon off ebay unless very very sure of its history and origin. Don't want to spend that on nicked or stacked!

Top Bottom