Is there a list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
....Of all the decent bike models out there and the ones to avoid?? We all know of the Raleigh Clubmans and Super Galaxies of this world and so on, but what about the more obscure types, how good are/were they??

Thanks.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
not aware of lists , but whats wrong with the more mundane gas pipe machines that some of us ride and enjoy .

have owned a couple of local badged bikes that were gas pipe hand built jobbies and both were great bike to own and ride .

1. Barry Bond of Leicester
2. R.E.W Reynolds of Northampton
3. John Fearn 531 of Leicester

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
not that i am aware of , others might help make a list .

A Cyclechat project to construct a database do you think?

Ok, so tell us a bit about:

not aware of lists , but whats wrong with the more mundane gas pipe machines that some of us ride and enjoy .

have owned a couple of local badged bikes that were gas pipe hand built jobbies and both were great bike to own and ride .

Thanks.

Hardly fair to call a Barry Bond a gas pipe bike - he built many a great frame for others to put their names on and in the 70's supplied bikes to the national squad.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hardly fair to call a Barry Bond a gas pipe bike - he built many a great frame for others to put their names on and in the 70's supplied bikes to the national squad.
Hilldodger you are right the Bond bike i had was a great bike and just a shame it was not Reynolds tubed as it was heavy but served me well as a commuter for many months

morksmith

Interesting to hear... I've recently bought a 1970 R.E.W Reynolds from EBay and looking to find out more about it - feels like a really tight bike and fitted out with Campagnolo Nuovo Record throughout so I thought it must have been above the average standard of the day - can you tell me more?

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable

Biggs.. you missed two local(ish) classics Sid Mottram of Leicester and Aende of Nottingham..

I have always had a soft spot for Uppadines, my dad who would have been 100 this Boxing day by the way,always swore by his.
He bought it around 1948 and was still riding it in the late sixties I remember. He and one of my uncles rode in one day from Doncaster to Knebworth in the early 50's, stayed at my aunt's for two nights then rode home, again in one day and both where back working down the pit at 6 o'clock the next day.
Wish I had it now! I cannot even remember the model, it was red,fitted with drops and a five speed dérailleur.
Anyway this site has some good info on British classics.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Uppadine_Cycles.htm

Boyblue

I have always had a soft spot for Uppadines, my dad who would have been 100 this Boxing day by the way,always swore by his.
He bought it around 1948 and was still riding it in the late sixties I remember. He and one of my uncles rode in one day from Doncaster to Knebworth in the early 50's, stayed at my aunt's for two nights then rode home, again in one day and both where back working down the pit at 6 o'clock the next day.
Wish I had it now! I cannot even remember the model, it was red,fitted with drops and a five speed dérailleur.
Anyway this site has some good info on British classics.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Uppadine_Cycles.htm
Hi I have 3 uppadines it would be good to share any info you have.
How did the museum go?

Top Bottom