Is there a way to monitor my broadband useage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I have one lap top and one Xbox live connected to my wireless router.

For the past few months we've exceeded our allowance and incurred extra charges, although no one will admit to it.

I know the Xbox can view youtube and download from Xbox live, so suspect this.

So is there anything that can monitor what is coming through the router, and to which machine it's going?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know down to that level of detail ... however after doing the same a couple of months in a row, we now monitor our usage on Talk Talk's account so we can see on a daily basis how much we have gone through and how much is left. My youngest who we think was the guilty party, now checks on how we are doing before going to watch long You Tube videos and so since then we have been under the limit.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm on BT and they have a similar thing, but I was hoping I could see exactly where it's going as well as how much we're using.

Forgot to add, there's also two DSi's on it as well. :sad:

Bman

Guru
Unless your ISP does it for you, the only way to effectivly monitor the broadband usage of both an xbox and a PC is with an SNMP enabled router.

Then you can use something like PRTG to record the usage.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Crikey, it'd be cheaper to pay the excess charges!

Thanks Bongman, I think I might try the free trial just to put the cat amongst the pidgeons in our house. ^_^

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I had a 10Gb monthly allowance, and until the Xbox came along used about 8Gb a month.

Just lately it's been around 15Gb a month useage, and with the school hols over the last few weeks it was 20Gb in December. :angry:

I've upped our allowance to 40Gb now, but I'd still like some black and white evidence of what's going on. :thumbsup:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Have you tried logging into your router?

Depending on what model you have, it might record throughput and even have the option to limit data by MAC address.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I've been through the router's settings, it doesn't look as if it's got the option to do this.

I've got a new router coming next week when we change over to fibre optic, hopefully that might have something in it.

Bman

Guru
Crikey, it'd be cheaper to pay the excess charges!

Thanks Bongman, I think I might try the free trial just to put the cat amongst the pidgeons in our house. ^_^

The trial version I used (they may have changed it since) was limited to a few "sensors". One is enough to monitor what you describe of your needs. The trial didnt expire :smile:

Top Bottom