Is this worth £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivert0279

I am not the most knowledgeable person but I have recently come across a kona process full suspension enduro bike. It is £1000. It has 160 front and 150 rear. Brand new dropper post, chain, cassette and brake pads. Would you think this would be a good buy and if something was wrong with it when you bought it how much would it be to repair. Thankyou in advance
Screenshot_20200918-070233_Facebook.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
The main thing really be whether there were any issues with the fork or the shock, but I've no idea how much either would be to repair.

If you're planning to hurl yourself down mountains, I'd say it's a good buy, with the above caveat.

Will Spin

Über Member
Is it new? If not it probably isn't worth £1000. There seems to quite a lot of stuff on the bike that could cause problems if not well maintained, i.e. full suspension, disc brakes, dropper seat post. Also unless as the previous poster has commented if you don't plan to hurl yourlsef down mountains then full sus will make pedalling hard work.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Oliver and :welcome: to the forum.

Okay let’s look at it. It’s just had cassette chain and pads so they’ll last a bit. The suspension units unless they’ve had a lot of use will have quite a bit of life left in them. Do the wheels run true and spokes are tight? Any play in the crank and headset bearings? None of these should cost too much to fix. It’s a 2k plus bike new so maybe it’s reasonable value.
Are you a hard core MTBer? Will you be using it exclusively on downhill rough trails? If not and you’re going to be using it mainly on tarmac you’re going to get fed up with it’s sluggish pace fairly quickly. This is a bike for strapping to the top of your car and taking to the boonies.

AndyRM

XOXO
Is it new? If not it probably isn't worth £1000. There seems to quite a lot of stuff on the bike that could cause problems if not well maintained, i.e. full suspension, disc brakes, dropper seat post. Also unless as the previous poster has commented if you don't plan to hurl yourlsef down mountains then full sus will make pedalling hard work.

Nope, it's the 2013 version, which were over £2k new. It looks in good nick, albeit going off just that picture, so potentially a lot of bike for the money. Kona make great frames.

si_c

Guru
Looking at the price it seems to be reasonable value. It's a 2013 Kona Process - full specs should be here. The picture makes it look pretty much stock.
I'd ask why it's being sold and how much and where it's been used. In terms of potential maintenance the worst that it will need is a shock service which is likely to cost a bit depending on the local bike shop - mine would charge about £150 for both.

You need to take a look and check the frame for cracks - particularly around the welds.

If it looks OK then it's probably well worth it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Okay so it’s about seven years old so mores the need to check it over very thoroughly before parting with your cash. If you’re not practised in doing this it would pay to get an experienced bike mechanic to check it over for you. Anything negative he finds can be used as a bargaining chip so might pay for itself. There were several Process models, this is the aluminium base model not the top of the range 5k carbon frame one.
As above mountain bikes like these go through fashion phases so older ones not using the latest specs do depreciate very fast so I think you could negotiate a better deal if you want it.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Probably need a bit more info on the groupset and the model of fork.

There are many MTB's overpriced at the moment, so be careful where you buy. I'd be inspecting the forks and shock carefully for damage to the stanchions (the silvery/gold bits) and the seals and any weird noises. I did pick up a 2014 BMC Fourstroke FS for £300 last year but that was from a mate.

Also what's your intended use - that's Enduro spec with 160mm travel, and will be a bit harder uphill. You might be better with trail 130mm or there abouts.

Top Bottom