Islabike Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
My eldest son (8) has a Beinn 24" and in six months or less will be moving up to a 26" wheel (probably Beinn 26") as he is so tall. He is currently doing his Bikeability training and is having real problems doing hand signals and looking over his shoulder as the bike tends towards a racing stance (i.e. slightly bent over the frame) compared with his peers who have more 'sit up and beg' bikes. Is there a temporary means of adjusting or changing the stem, or is there something like a an ahead extension or the like which would temporarily solve the problem with regards to handlebar height? The handlebars are set at their highest point at the moment.

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds like he just needs to practice more rather than looking for a technical fix which may or may not work but certainly wont improve his bike skills. Failing that you can just buy a different stem which is longer and has a steeper rising angle.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Yes, there is an element of that dom. Unfortunately he has reached that age when what his peers can do is everything - he undoubtedly has more experience on a bike but has now found something they can do better purely on the basis they are sitting on a tank, so to speak. He gives up very easily if it's not easily achieved. I thought there might be a quick fix to get him through the training. As you say, different stem maybe.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Yes that would do it Uncle Phil. I'm sure he doesn't care how ugly it looks and if he does, that's tough! Thanks both.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Last summer we went down to Islabikes and after a lot of thought decided to buy our son then aged 8 a Beinn 26", the reasoning being that a 24 was just perfect for him but he would soon outgrow it. The bars on the 26 are pretty high and they come with two spacers on the stem so I moved them to above the stem, now he has one above and one below and he has almost grown into the 26.

What I'm saying is, why not just go for the 26 now? It sounds as if he's at the limit for the 24.

Great bikes, aren't they! All I had at that age was a shopping bike with rod brakes and a chain case.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
It's also clear, having looked at the Islabike gallery that I have created a monster :smile:, he is significantly taller than anyone in his class and with his saddle now higher than the bars (not shown in any of the pictures) his is leaning down over the handlebars which cannot be that comfortable (for a child) or easy to work with. I may have to bite the bullet and get a bigger bike.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
Last summer we went down to Islabikes and after a lot of thought decided to buy our son then aged 8 a Beinn 26", the reasoning being that a 24 was just perfect for him but he would soon outgrow it. The bars on the 26 are pretty high and they come with two spacers on the stem so I moved them to above the stem, now he has one above and one below and he has almost grown into the 26.

What I'm saying is, why not just go for the 26 now? It sounds as if he's at the limit for the 24.

Great bikes, aren't they! All I had at that age was a shopping bike with rod brakes and a chain case.

Yep. I did get a blue Chopper when I was 8, so I can't complain. Although it's not half as good as these. You're probably right and I should swop out to the 26, possibly even the large 26; I'll have to measure. Thanks.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
No comment on the need for practice, but you could fit something like the spectacularly ugly Delta Stem Raiser.

This is exactly what I did as a temporary measure and it has solved much of the problem. It doesn't look that bad on a kiddie's bike; I suspect it would be much uglier on a full size. Son 1 now much happier in a more upright position. :thumbsup:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
ChrisKH said:
It's also clear, having looked at the Islabike gallery that I have created a monster :biggrin:, he is significantly taller than anyone in his class and with his saddle now higher than the bars (not shown in any of the pictures) his is leaning down over the handlebars which cannot be that comfortable (for a child) or easy to work with. I may have to bite the bullet and get a bigger bike.

I think you've just hit the nail at the root of his problem on the head. Looks like a bigger bike has to be bought ASAP!

Mr Pig

ChrisKH said:
It's also clear, having looked at the Islabike gallery that I have created a monster :biggrin:.

Bike or child?

I gave my son my old 26'' Hardrock. He's thirteen and it fits him fine apart from the bars being a bit of a stretch. I fitted a very short stem and all's well. Cost £17 from my local bike shop.

Top Bottom