Isle of Wight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What's it like cycling around the Isle of Wight?

I have fancied going down there for several years. Maybe take a Friday off, take the bike on the train and ferry, and pitch a tent at a camp site. Then cycle around the island on the Saturday. Then look for a red squirrel on Sunday, because I cannot remember ever seeing one. Then come back home on Monday.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It will be a nice weekend. is a bit hilly in parts but nothing major, Nice pubs and pretty quiet roads when we did it a few years ago, my other half wants us to go back again this year, But we stayed in a B&B, She is not into tents.:okay:

Mattonsea

Über Member
Yep , very quiet , great views from the Needles all the way down the Military road to Ventnor. Most villages have somewhere to stop and feed.It is
like stepping back 30 years in a good way.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Short notice but Portsmouth CTC are doing the Isle of Wight on Saturday. I've been on a few rides with them and they're lovely folks. Even if you're not a CTC member I believe they're happy for you to go for a few rides, before asking for membership, but do check beforehand.

There is a "randonee" route around the island, or several shorter routes.

The Cycle Island website has details and maps (and GPX Tracks)

Whilst a day ride is possible, it is far better to take a couple of days and investigate what the island has to offer

berty bassett

Legendary Member
lovely ride on a sunny day from what i can remember there was only 2 hills that stood out and was sign posted well - went clockwise and the hills were about 7 oclock if you look at it like a clock and a boat across the river at 12 and mostly on quiet roads- hope you enjoy it

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Stay with Jayne at Compton Farm, just off Military Road. Wonderful place, lovely people, basic but perfect for touring. Stayed there every year for over 15 years.

wintonbina

Über Member
Just be careful with the potholes! There seems to be a lot more this year when I was over there last month!

Top Bottom