Isn't the Tax Man great!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had a call from the tax man about my self assessment - which I still haven't sent in:blush:

I'm currently self employed but sometime this year will become employed by Cyclemagic once all of the PAYE paper work is sorted out.

The Tax Man said, OK, no problem, I can understand you must be busy, get your self assessment in by the end of March and we won't charge you the £100 for being late :ohmy:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hilldodger said:
Just had a call from the tax man about my self assessment - which I still haven't sent in:blush:

I'm currently self employed but sometime this year will become employed by Cyclemagic once all of the PAYE paper work is sorted out.

The Tax Man said, OK, no problem, I can understand you must be busy, get your self assessment in by the end of March and we won't charge you the £100 for being late :ohmy:

I must phone them about becoming a sole-trader or whatever its called. I want the ability to sell prints and got semi-pro with the photography.

Shaun

Founder
I got a refund this year - first one in ages.

Mind you, I've learned from experience and squirreled it away because I can guarantee they'll want it all back again next year!! :ohmy:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Hilldodger said:
The Tax Man said, OK, no problem, I can understand you must be busy, get your self assessment in by the end of March and we won't charge you the £100 for being late :biggrin:

Sorry Hilldodger but unless you started self-employment in the current year (09/10) you will get fined and interest will be charged on any tax due but unpaid.

Being busy is not an excuse unfortunately:biggrin:

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
The tax person himself said I won't be charged as I won't owe any tax anyway.

And the £100 fine is discretionary for up to the first 2 months - according to my tax lawyer sister - also I/Cyclemagic have been in consultation with them over a number of charity/not-for-profit issues that have delayed our beginning PAYE..

rusky

CC Addict
FIL had a "I'm" fining you £100 for a late tax return!

He also got a letter earlier in the year thanking him for his tax return!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Hilldodger said:
The tax person himself said I won't be charged as I won't owe any tax anyway.

And the £100 fine is discretionary for up to the first 2 months - according to my tax lawyer sister - also I/Cyclemagic have been in consultation with them over a number of charity/not-for-profit issues that have delayed our beginning PAYE..

The fine cannot exceed the tax due - so if you don't owe any tax then it will be zero.

Top Bottom