It never rains....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
I had surgery for "sufers ear " about three weeks back and having had my ear canal drilled/chiseled I was on pain killers and didn't feel up to much for the first two weeks or so.

Just getting over it, for the past few days I've not needed any pain relief and so was looking forward to going to the gym/ a gentle ride this morning.

I was out with the dogs last night, one of which is a big strong GSD/Husky cross. He's a rescue dog we've had for about two months so I keep him on a long line when out in public.

Another dog charged him head on (owner about 50m away) - the result somehow being that my knee "went" with that all too familiar "pop". I've ruptured the right ACL twice in the past and the left once - this morning my right knee is (yet again!) the size of a melon.

Went to casualty but there was nothing much they could do other than x-ray for bone damage and give me some crutches (reluctantly).

Bugger bugger bugger is all I've got to say :tongue: This should probably be in Soapbox (if we had one) - I just felt like having a vent.

My sympathies; I just hope it heals fast.

Fiona N

Veteran
Heartfelt sympathies from one in the same boat - well sort of.
I'd just started running again (I'm car-free so some daily cycling goes without saying - normally) after 4 years of one injury/problem after another and was really enjoying it especially as the weather improved. Then last week I got knocked off the bike by a pedestrian and now have a broken and displaced coccyx (tail bone, in other words). After 10 days, I'm still on pain killers with no end in sight. And no chance of the mtbing I'd planned on holiday in Cyprus next month.

Actually the whole incident was really anger-making. I was on a really narrow country lane which has very little car traffic - usually only the odd locals - so a lot of cyclists use it, as well as people on foot (nice days only). Because everyone is pretty local, there's a fairly well established ettiquette - the cyclists ring their bells or call out politely to warn walkers of their approach and the walkers pull over to the side of the road and keep dogs and small children under control. Nothing really difficult. Occasionally there are older folks somewhat harder of hearing or younger folks ipodded who require a bit more of a shouted warning but they're usually OK when they realise you're there.
On this occasion a cyclist coming towards me shouted out a warning about two pedestrians. I've never been warned about peds before, they're not usually dangerous ;) so I was quite bemused but approached with caution: a couple walking in the same direction as me, man walking on the left of the road (i.e. the wrong side) and the woman walking in the middle of the single track lane. I rang my bell (and it's a good one) and then called out as I approached as they didn't respond. I got the feeling that they knew I was there but were deliberately ignoring me. As I attempted to ride (very slowly) between the woman and the hedge/wall on the right, she turned quickly, flinging her rucksac, which was only slung over one shoulder, into my handlebars which pulled them sharply over and I went down on backside then clobbered the back of my head. I was groggy and bleeding profusely - typical head wound. They called for an ambulance but - get this - the ambulance men thought when they arrived that the couple had just 'come across an injured cyclist lying in the road'. I told the ambulance guys what had happened as they strapped me in for the ride to hospital so when the woman asked to speak to me, he thought she was going to apologise. She came on board all guns blazing - why was I cycling so agressively, why wasn't I wearing a helmet...etc. She was an American making it absolutely clear that she had no liability, responsibility etc.
The ambulance guys threw her off but didn't have any contact details, the police weren't involved and I've had taxi fare from hospital (£35), physio (£100+ and rising), lost working time, etc. from an accident caused by this stupid woman's arrogant attitude that she "had a perfect right to hog the whole of the road and was under no obligation to give way to cyclists" (I only slightly misquote).
I wonder what would happen with a car trying to pass, or in the US? I'm afraid this just confirms my prejudices that most Americans out of America are a*******s.

Goffins

Ouch, I empathise with the familiar and ever so painful popping.
My ACL is torn completely so when I forget about it and am forced to pivot fast, it's likely to go.

It doesn't insprie me with confidence that you've had the same problem more than once; I've got sugery for a ACL replacement after my pre op in June and I was told it would be 'at least' as good as new as long as I kept up with my physio.

Hope the swelling goes down and it doesn't stiffen up too much.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That didn't sound nice Fiona - I wonder what they had done to the cyclist before you that he had thought to warn you ... obviously something but he was luckier.

Hont

Guru
So many pedestrians on country roads just don't think about cyclists. I've lost count of the number of times I've come across people in a similar manner, with their backs to me, wandering around in the middle of the road not thinking about "silent" traffic.

I never know whether to shout a warning - and either watch them panic about which side of the road to go, or suffer a minor heart attack at the surprise - or try and sneak by when there's enough room.

Good luck with the recovery both of you.

Tynan

Veteran
don't get many country roads in London but I've always thought that the bigger and busier the road the better

that ped sounds like a mightmare, what an utter arse of a woman

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Dear Diary,

Mon 23 Feb, went to gym in morning, admitted to hospital in the afternoon.
Tue 24 Feb, had my ear canal drilled and chiselled.

March 13, injured knee - unable to walk so went to casualty, felt a bit of a fraud but needed crutches to help me get around. Referred to orthopods.

March 17, referred for MRI by orthopods.

April 16, had scan.

Still limping, unable to straighten leg.

Top Bottom