It Pays For The Lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had British Cycling (& formerly, as it was, BCF) membership for the best part of 30 years
Thankfully I've never needed it, but it's there as a safety net'

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...d-into-road-while-looking-at-her-phone-449972

At the bottom is this paragraph (split up by me)

Breaking down the costs, Hazeldean said that £59,643 was raised through the fundraising campaign on GoFundMe

Hazeldean then had to pay £4,300 in damages £434 in interest on the damages
£30,000 legal costs for the other side
£25,000 in his own legal costs

He made up the £2,979 deficit himself.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My home insurance used to cover me for £2,000,000 in legal fees. I assume that it would have paid the £55,000 if I had been involved in that case? I would still have had to pay the damages though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are lots of threads on this on here. It appears the cyclist was a bit of an idiot and decided blasting people with an airhorn and shouting was a better alternative to trying to slow down with his brakes.

Maybe he has learnt something.

BigMeatball

There are lots of threads on this on here. It appears the cyclist was a bit of an idiot and decided blasting people with an airhorn and shouting was a better alternative to trying to slow down with his brakes.

The article says that both pedestrian and cyclist were left unconscious after the crash, which also makes me believe the guy didn't break much and was going rather fast in the first place. I agree with you, he sounds like a bit of a idiot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It happens. Happened to my about 5 years ago. catapulted off my bike by a driver, my bike bounced into another cyclist and knocked him off. Driver drove off. Cyclist didn't even contact police or MIB - I did that for me, but he found the easy escape and got ambulance chasers to sue me. BC's solicitors settled last year. And get this, the cyclist didn't have insurance, unlike me.

I wouldn't rely upon household insurance. My lawyer did say ythis could have been messy if you didn't have insurance. PS police tried to trace the driver but couldn't, so I got the insurance bill (BC did).

Shoot does happen, so get some form of Cycling Membership with insurance.

BigMeatball

It happens. Happened to my about 5 years ago. catapulted off my bike by a driver, my bike bounced into another cyclist and knocked him off. Driver drove off. Cyclist didn't even contact police or MIB - I did that for me, but he found the easy escape and got ambulance chasers to sue me. BC's solicitors settled last year. And get this, the cyclist didn't have insurance, unlike me.

Silver lining is you now have details/address of that tool so you can pay him a visit :whistle:

Granted yes, to the top paragraph, but also to insure himself too!

Which is really the point of this, as @fossyant found out, it's good to have the coverage!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom