Italy - End to End

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Organised crime generally has more ambitious targets than cycle tourists! I wouldn't be concerned about Calabria on that score.
Sounds very true though Italy is a strange place and there may be other effects. I remember someone telling me that they were touring in Sicily once - stopped in a small village somewhere in the interior to sit in a bar for while. Locked their bikes up outside. After a while, someone had a quiet word with them: "the locals feel insulted that you've locked your bikes" so they felt obliged to unlock them. And remained nervous. Maybe I've read too much about Italy but I couldn't help feeling that there was a certain very subtle bullying going on here. ie: show respect to who runs this place and they will ensure that you come to no harm in their fiefdom..

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you read any RTW cycle book you will find the cyclist has been told the next country is full of villains and bandits.

Its a bit like leaving England and going to Wales or Scotland....;0)

I think Italy end to end in 2 weeks is a big ask, you certainly wouldnt see much.

Steve

Last edited:
If you read any RTW cycle book you will find the cyclist has been told the next country is full of villains and bandits.

Its a bit like leaving England and going to Wales or Scotland....;0)
Respectfully disagree Steve - for an Italian it's like going from Barrow Lancashire to Whalley Lancashire - google map the trek to "there be savages"

Top Bottom