ITBS...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Is it possible to overwork the outside muscle - the IT band and develop the inside thigh muscle so that the kneecap is pulled too far the other way??

I had ITBS....then it went for a while now it is back again....I don't know which way the kneecap is going :biggrin:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
You might not believe this but excellent technical form on a bicycle can help to ensure that the patella tracks correctly to avoid that outer thigh muscle from dominating.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I am Spartacus said:
You might not believe this but excellent technical form on a bicycle can help to ensure that the patella tracks correctly to avoid that outer thigh muscle from dominating.

Please can you expand? This just mean positioning or maintaing a good form while cycling?

If maintaining the form...what form is this? :eek:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Well there at least 2 options.
The expensive one
Cyclefit for example who will analyse your body to bike alignment and advise and fit to ensure that physiologically you are cycling with correct technique in orer to protect against injury.

the cheap one
get a mate who knows his stuff to look at your riding style (eg on a stationery bike in a gym) and use his 'eye' to see f anything looks wonky.
You can look at good riding styles and techniques on YouTube . snippets of the Tour or Giro

Hopefully we are talking a rather trivial ailment here otherwise you would be approaching a medical professional wouldnt you...?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I am Spartacus said:
Well there at least 2 options.
The expensive one
Cyclefit for example who will analyse your body to bike alignment and advise and fit to ensure that physiologically you are cycling with correct technique in orer to protect against injury.

the cheap one
get a mate who knows his stuff to look at your riding style (eg on a stationery bike in a gym) and use his 'eye' to see f anything looks wonky.
You can look at good riding styles and techniques on YouTube . snippets of the Tour or Giro

Hopefully we are talking a rather trivial ailment here otherwise you would be approaching a medical professional wouldnt you...?

I've been on off the bike since march with this...IT band being too tight etc, caused from overdevelopment due to saddle being too low.... Seen all there is to see without splashing out £1000s ... just need to keep stretching the IT band and building up the inside leg ..... just worried I may overdo it and have the kneecap overpulled the other way

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The ITB is notoriously difficult to excercise - I, too have had trouble in the past. I'm married to a physio which helps but I would recommend going to see a physio at least once to get the correct diagnosis and excercises that you can then do at home. At Sussex Uni there is a very cheap Sports Injury clinic so it's worth checking to see if there is one near you.

What richp said. I had ITB problems last year from doing running and cycling. Seeing a physio meant that the problem was diagnosed properly, I was given a programme of exercises and stretches, which cured the problem and have been fine ever since.

Top Bottom