It's been a while

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Hi all,

Been a very long while since I last posted here, so hope everyone is still all good. After a long period of not cycling at all, I got back into it at the beginning of this year and made good progress with the aim of doing a wee charity bike ride (either the LEPRA edinburgh - St andrews or the Pedal for scotland long course) this summer.

Then I had a crash. Just turning off a main road into a side street, the bike wheel hit a bit of uneven or slippery ground (I think this is what must have happened) and suddenly I was off and lying in the middle of the street, with that weird sense of hyper-reality shock that follows every bike accident. Two very helpful guys from the local car dealership saw I was lying there and ran over. We quickly found I couldn't move, so they covered my in their jackets and rang the ambulance. My left leg was starting to be a bit painful by this point and was 'stuck' in a bent position. I tried to straighten it but felt some deeply ominous crunching sensation in my hip and thought better of it. Ambulance duly came and with liberal amounts of nitrous oxide they got me onto their stretcher.

Hospital came next (the paramedics had also given my liberal amounts of morphine by this time) and a triage nurse straightened the leg. Even with the morphine this hurt a wee bit. Then an X-ray and the verdict was a fractured femur just below the hip. Thought it was really hard to break a femur and I'm puzzled by how I did it travelling at low speed, but there you go.

To cut a long story short the next day I had an op to insert a long nail into the femur (a Gamma Nail I think it's called). That was two weeks ago and I'm now on crutches but able to put a wee bit of weight onto the leg, which is good. Hoping to get back on the bike in the next 2-3 months and carry on where I left off, albeit inevitably more cautious.

It was my birthday when I was in hospital and irony of ironies, two unconnected friends and family members had bought me....a new saddle each. You've got to laugh.

Mel.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Wow, ouch and hell! You do seem very upbeat under the circumstances, which is brilliant! I wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully, there will still be some summer left to enjoy, when you are ready to get back in the saddle. How is the bike?

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Wow, ouch and hell! You do seem very upbeat under the circumstances, which is brilliant! I wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully, there will still be some summer left to enjoy, when you are ready to get back in the saddle. How is the bike?

The bike came through without a scratch, mainly because my body took all the impact instead :ohmy: - so at least that's something.

sdr gb

Falling apart
Then an X-ray and the verdict was a fractured femur just below the hip. Thought it was really hard to break a femur and I'm puzzled by how I did it travelling at low speed, but there you go.
Sorry to hear of your accident:sad:.

Like you, I had a low speed accident around 5 years ago that resulted in a broken femur and also a shattered femoral neck. The leg straightening part was the worst pain I have ever felt, not least because the morphine was wearing off.

Just take it easy for the first few rides, to let the muscles and confidence build up again. I used a turbo trainer for the first few "rides" to make sure there wasn't going to be any complications. It won't take long to get your fitness level back to where it was before the crash.

Get well soon and I hope the recovery goes according to plan.:thumbsup:

postman

Legendary Member
All the best for a speedy recovery.The sun might shine by the time you are fit and well.Take it easy.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
you fair weather riders, seems you'lkl go to any lengths to avoid the rain.:whistle:

PS, hope you get well soon, sounds nasty especially as its hard to know "how" or "why".Keep ya pecker up!

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Sorry to hear of your accident:sad:.

Like you, I had a low speed accident around 5 years ago that resulted in a broken femur and also a shattered femoral neck. The leg straightening part was the worst pain I have ever felt, not least because the morphine was wearing off.

Just take it easy for the first few rides, to let the muscles and confidence build up again. I used a turbo trainer for the first few "rides" to make sure there wasn't going to be any complications. It won't take long to get your fitness level back to where it was before the crash.

Get well soon and I hope the recovery goes according to plan.:thumbsup:

Cheers - ouch that sounded like a bad/worse one too. Good idea about using a turbo for the first few "rides" as well.

Mel

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
nice to see you back melv… chin up and get well soon wee man…

Top Bottom