It's down to three......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikemerc

Regular
Hi everyone,

I've looked at and ridden three road bikes today, the Caad 8, BMC Streetracer SR01 and the Scott Speedster 20. All have 105's and similar spec (from what my newb eyes can see/read) and all similar price £975-£1049. The Caad and Scott are 2013 bikes, the BMC 2012.

The Caad and BMC are at Evans, the Scott at my local independent.

I felt they were all comfortable, and will all do me for now and the foreseeable.

I'm swaying towards the Scott, but not 100% sure why.

Can anyone tell me any major differences between the bikes? Will they all be as easy to sell if I wish to upgrade in a year or so?

Thanks in advance, Mike

400bhp

Guru
Come on help us out matey, don't let us do the searching.

Initially, if you want us to compare and contrast, post up the specs.

And, specs are certainly not the be all and end all to choosing a bike. Ride each if possible. What is right for one is wrong for another.

400bhp

Guru
After a 1 minute browse I would say cannondale.

That's because their alloy frames are renowned for being the best.

But the wheels on it i don't know much about and that could be the determining factor. The R501 on the others are good budget wheels.

the other subtle differences-i wouldn't be too worried.

OP
OP
Mikemerc

Mikemerc

Regular
Cheers mate for having a look at that for me. I think I'll be happy with any of them and just now really wanna start getting on the road.

tigger

Über Member
For me it would be between the Speedster and the Caad 8. There's not much to choose between them components wise. Cannondale are regarded as just about the best aluminium frames you can get so that should give it the edge. Only downside for me is the lack of smooth welds for their 2013 frames. It's just looks but something that bugs me.

Garz

Squat Member
Heard good reports from the CAAD series of bikes, however isn't the point of riding them your choice or preferred feel as we have not ridden them? :boxing:

zizou

Veteran
Personally i'd get the caad8 however they are all decent bikes, if you are swaying towards the Scott then get that. Bike choice is about gut instinct / emotion as much as it is a rational decision.

Rule number 1, always buy the best frame your budget will allow, everything else is an easy upgrade over time.

Therefore the CAAD wins hands down.

OP
OP
Mikemerc

Mikemerc

Regular
I have heard good things about the Caad frames, I just wish my local guys could get it in for me rather than having a less personal touch from the larger franchise store.

The level of service is a big thing for me.

Anyway, whichever way I go I'll post pics once bought.

Thanks, Mike

vickster

Legendary Member
On Your Bike at London Bridge sell Cannondale, as do Cyclopolis in Balham (I am sure there are others in London) - the latter is a more personal small LBS

simon.r

Person
Tektro brakes on the Cannondale maybe a negative. Not as good as Shimano IME, but not a deal breaker as new pads will sort them out.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have heard good things about the Caad frames, I just wish my local guys could get it in for me rather than having a less personal touch from the larger franchise store.

The level of service is a big thing for me.

Anyway, whichever way I go I'll post pics once bought.

Thanks, Mike

You aren't necessarily going to get poor after sales service with Evans. My local branch have been very good to me.

Top Bottom