It's finished!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Dawes Galaxy (from 1970s I believe - judging by the chrome forks & British Leyland metallic brown paintwork)

Originally 10 speed & 531 Plain gauge from what I make out of the Reynolds decal - not sure what year they went double-butted.

Bought on Ebay £102 in a very sorry state of disrepair:sad:,
Stripped down, repainted in matching colour & clear laquer.

Every thing on it is original... except:

Then (also off Ebay)
RSX brake levers £7.50
SIS down tube shifters £1.20
Fizik Nisene saddle £5
Seat post £4.99
Clip pedals £2.19
Exage rear mech £2.50
None of which
27 x 1-1/4 Rear wheel & 6 sp freewheel - taken from another £30 Ebay bike.

New tyres, tubes, cables & housings, mudguards, - and the handlebar tape ! Personally I hate the colour, but that's what my son said it had to be, and it's his birthday present.

Just been out for a "test flight" and it rides as sweet as my 1987 Galaxy (531ST).

As it's 25 years since I last rebuilt a bike from a bare frame, I'm really chuffed with this....:welcome:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help I got from reading this forum!

Lush!

Though if ever a bike needed a Br**ks saddle.....

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Lush!

Though if ever a bike needed a Br**ks saddle.....

I know, I know

Whole things has been done on a very tight budget, and even tatty old ones go for £40+ on Ebay these days.

You don't happen to have a spare one ? ;)

Bigtallfatbloke

I like the orange tape...spray the frame orange to match!

..seriously I think it's cool your son is into cycling and you can do something like this together.

Nick G

Well done. I wish I could do something like that - It looks lovely. I wish you son years of pleasure riding it.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
Dawes Galaxy (from 1970s I believe - judging by the chrome forks & British Leyland metallic brown paintwork)

Originally 10 speed & 531 Plain gauge from what I make out of the Reynolds decal - not sure what year they went double-butted.

Bought on Ebay £102 in a very sorry state of disrepair:sad:,
Stripped down, repainted in matching colour & clear laquer.

Well done on the rebuild !!

However, I'm a little miffed, 'cos you paid £102 on Ebay for your Galaxy 'in a very sorry state of disrepair' and I can't sell mine on this forum for £20.

I must say that I find the Galaxy to be a very comfortable bike to ride; perhaps I should keep it and use it in conjunction with my son's 'tag-along'.

jeffdean

Photo Gallery

Hi all this is for sharing the photos and to view the photos of different bikes and bicycles. Everybody can search new models here.And they can take the advantage while taking a new bicycle or bike.

Confronta cellulari Facial Feminization Surgery

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
swee said:
You are right Swee
I set the tops dead level but failed to tighten the nut on the stem. They were just a tad loose when photo was taken. I didn't notice the "up angle" until l looked at the photo on the big screen, and I wasn't going out again just for a new photo.
Strangely though - they were comfortable like this.

Top Bottom