It's not just us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
We could all stay indoors, do nothing, and be safe.

But our society would stagnate and soon cease to exist.

20-30 pedestrians die everyday, but where are the BBC articles with diagrams about pedestrian safety?

Tim Hall

We could all stay indoors, do nothing, and be safe.

But our society would stagnate and soon cease to exist.

20-30 pedestrians die everyday, but where are the BBC articles with diagrams about pedestrian safety?
No they don't. UK figures for 2012 has 420 pedestrian deaths. That's a bit over 1 per day. Of course if you're talking worldwide, the figure is higher (WHO say it's more than 270000, or 739 per day). Still not 20-30 per day though.

He got massively unlucky. The ball managed to plant itself in the gap between his shoulder and the base of the lid. There has to be astronomical odds against that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least as much down to the twisting of his head, than the ball hitting him. Anyway R.I.P. Condolences to his family and friends, and I hope Sean Abbott gets back out there, he's been in a right state about it,

david k

Hi
He got massively unlucky. The ball managed to plant itself in the gap between his shoulder and the base of the lid. There has to be astronomical odds against that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least as much down to the twisting of his head, than the ball hitting him. Anyway R.I.P. Condolences to his family and friends, and I hope Sean Abbott gets back out there, he's been in a right state about it,
Agreed mate, very sad and very unlucky, chances are if it had hit his helmet it wouldnt have killed him.

U

User482

Typical pro-helmet nonsense. He did not get unlucky, he did something stupid and it cost him his life. Facing fast, short-pitched bowling he trusted the kit and turned his back on a dangerous ball rather than get out of its way. It exemplifies the risk compensation problem as clearly as a clear thing, but you couldn't see it.

He made a mistake with dreadful consequences, but we can't say for certain that it was because he trusted his kit. FWIW I tend to agree that in general terms, improved protection for batsmen (as well as limited overs cricket) has made them more likely to take on short-pitched bowling, but I don't think many viewers would want to lose the prospect of batsmen playing the hook or pull.

david k

Hi
He made a mistake with dreadful consequences, but we can't say for certain that it was because he trusted his kit. FWIW I tend to agree that in general terms, improved protection for batsmen (as well as limited overs cricket) has made them more likely to take on short-pitched bowling, but I don't think many viewers would want to lose the prospect of batsmen playing the hook or pull.
Had he trusted his kit entirely rather than seeing it as PPE and therefore last resort then he would have probably faced it rather than turn his head maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom