I've just had my first encounter with....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Mather's Black Beer

3112803832_001954d5c1.jpg

It has: the viscosity of undiluted Ribena, the colour of Guinness, the taste of port with a hint of Marmite and if it's not to your taste then it can be repurposed as a fake tan embrocation.

I found it rather tasty and will try it with lemonade in the recommended 1:6 ratio tomorrow. Apparently it's a regional product and consumed mainly in West and South Yorkshire.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Interesting: I've just ordered some!

Tasting Notes:A brand steeped in heritage dating back to times of Captain Cook. A unique, deliciously sweet and malty tasting drink, which is both nourishing and rich in Vitamin C.
Best Enjoyed: Experiment with this drink's versatility with a variety of mixers; Lemonade, Whisky, Rum, Brandy or Ginger Wine. It can even liven up cooking, for example add a measure to Christmas pudding, steak pie or treacle toffee.

This is what is currently keeping the Winter at bay here in the glorious PRS.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Apparently it used to be made here in Leeds until the company was bought and moved to Huddersfield. Annual sales are around 35,000 bottles. It's brewed in two batches and currently has no excise duty levied upon it for historical reasons. The cost is thus at 60% or so of what it would cost if the duty was levied.

I got mine from Morrisons in Boroughbridge while I was out on a pie, bacon and black pudding expedition to Greenwoods' butchers.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
...and currently has no excise duty levied upon it for historical reasons. The cost is thus at 60% or so of what it would cost if the duty was levied.
I did wonder: £3.49 for a 680ml bottle of 8.5% seemed too good to be true.

£20.31 for a case is even better...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I drank that with lemonade every Christmas as a child- looks like beer when you're only little!

Best with Ben Shaw's finest... but doesn't half give you wind.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

I drank that with lemonade every Christmas as a child- looks like beer when you're only little!

Best with Ben Shaw's finest... but doesn't half give you wind.

I had a very balmy night after supping it. Must have been the lemonade that caused the gusts.

Top Bottom