Jazz fans!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
They're in Newcastle the night before! House of Waters are supporting - can't wait!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Call me a heathen (how very dare you :smile:)...........but jazz is one type of music I have never been able to get into.
I enjoy the Acker Bilk/Kenny Ball type jazz which true jazz lovers would probably laugh at. I even liked some Georgie Fame. But I just cannot "get" the attraction of what I call "real" jazz.
PLEASE note that I am not knocking it......I just don't get the attraction.
NB.......I and my wife listened to the link from the OP.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ThpYjm7.gif

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Call me a heathen (how very dare you :smile:)...........but jazz is one type of music I have never been able to get into.
I enjoy the Acker Bilk/Kenny Ball type jazz which true jazz lovers would probably laugh at. I even liked some Georgie Fame. But I just cannot "get" the attraction of what I call "real" jazz.
PLEASE note that I am not knocking it......I just don't get the attraction.
NB.......I and my wife listened to the link from the OP.
I feel exactly the same way - about classical music. There are bits I like - the kind of 'bits that everyone likes' that you tend to find on '100 Classical Greats', CD's - £4.99 from Sainsburys, sort of thing. But take me far outside that 'easy' selection (which as you say I'm sure a true afficionado would regard with pity if not contempt) and I find myself sitting there thinking: 'I know I'm supposed to be enjoying this...but I'm not, really.' Brahms 4th symphony t'other day was the latest. I listened to one side, but just couldn't be bothered flipping the record.

As you say, I'm not knocking it...I just don't get it.

Now jazz on the other hand....a lot of people seem to like dissing it, but I for one just cannot understand how anyone could listen to this and not enjoy it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xx3YTu2ac

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Stan Getz is a favourite of mine. I like many types of music from classical to electro to jazz but i'm quick picky about my choices.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I feel exactly the same way - about classical music. There are bits I like - the kind of 'bits that everyone likes' that you tend to find on '100 Classical Greats', CD's - £4.99 from Sainsburys, sort of thing. But take me far outside that 'easy' selection (which as you say I'm sure a true afficionado would regard with pity if not contempt) and I find myself sitting there thinking: 'I know I'm supposed to be enjoying this...but I'm not, really.' Brahms 4th symphony t'other day was the latest. I listened to one side, but just couldn't be bothered flipping the record.

As you say, I'm not knocking it...I just don't get it.

Now jazz on the other hand....a lot of people seem to like dissing it, but I for one just cannot understand how anyone could listen to this and not enjoy it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xx3YTu2ac

I listened to various parts of the link and while I have to agree they are talented musicians It leaves me cold.....sorry about that :smile:
Similar to you. I can really enjoy e.g. 1812 overture, Planet Suite etc. but some stuff leaves me cold.
I am officially an old fart so have heard many types of music come & go. I was really into my 60s stuff--particularly the Mersey Sound plus Rolling Stones, The Kinks and Bob Dylan etc.
Later on I enjoyed much of the Heavy Metal stuff.
I enjoyed the Sex Pistols and some "Punk" in that era.
I enjoyed Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet etc. in the 80s
The 90s & noughties passed me by apart from a few people.
So........................
My tastes are varied (am I supposed to say eclectic now)........BUT.......I cannot understand main stream jazz.
As for Jamie Cullum..........how can anyone think he has a good/enjoyable voice ?

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
while I have to agree they are talented musicians It leaves me cold.....sorry about that :smile:
Not at all. A very good friend of mine who's a professional musician says pretty much exactly the same thing. "I suppose I'm basically a songs sort of a chap."

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I guess with modern jazz you've got to be in exactly the right mood.

I'm also big on folk music, more because I enjoy the historic ballads.

Top Bottom