JE James Cycles Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You can't judge a shop by a few irate customers. There will always be some even for the good shops. Read between the lines and see if there is a pattern.

It's not the view of a few irate customers, it's based on dozens of conversations with other locals, friends and my own experiences. The shop is not very far from where I live and would be my LBS if they suited. There are plenty of reasons to shop there as I outlined, in fact some would view the reasons I outlined as to why they stay in business. To brush off very well documented problems as a few irate customers is silly.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Tried their internet operation 3 times.

Once for Shimano hub (an older model that I preferred the look of to the newer ones) that they claimed to have in stock.... and unobtainable elsewhere.
Chased after a week - oh we have no stock. Cancelled order. Two days later still showing as in stock on website, so re-ordered (thinking they must have found their lost stock) - still no joy. Wrote them a snotty letter - hoping I might get a voucher or something.... no such luck.

Second occasion, ordered a couple of rims - on which they showed Low Stock. Didn't need them in a hurry, so not fussed if turned out to be not available.
They arrived on second working day after order.

Most recently
Ordered a Giant MTB for sprog #3 2010 model RRP £299 reduced to £199
Chased after a week ... oh the branch that showed it in stock doesn't actually have it - should we cancel order or suggest replacement? Please suggest replacement. They suggested a Raleigh which apparently has RRP 269, that they offer at £229 - and to price match it down to £199. Fair enough... but the website description is so poor that I really cant judge whether it's as good a bargain as the Giant (I suspect not). Asked them some really basic questions about the drive train... web department can't answer that directly... they have to ask the branch where the stock is. Just waiting for the answer now. Meanwhile have spotted a better bargain elsewhere....

So ... 2 out of 3 failures for me.

Other forums have threads (linky) about their poor stock control system and patchy online service, so I think my experience is not unique.

perplexed

Guru
JE James have a very mixed reputation. It really is a bit of a lucky dip on the day I guess.

Some of the staff are really excellent, and I mean excellent. Some are...not.

Some days its a joy to go in, others its just hard work.

I've used the website a handful of times, with no real problems apart from it being a bit sluggish on the delivery speed compared to others. But I've had some cracking bargains, so no grumbles really.

pshore

It's not the view of a few irate customers, it's based on dozens of conversations with other locals, friends and my own experiences. The shop is not very far from where I live and would be my LBS if they suited. There are plenty of reasons to shop there as I outlined, in fact some would view the reasons I outlined as to why they stay in business. To brush off very well documented problems as a few irate customers is silly.

Marin, I wasn't brushing off the problems or criticising what you said, I was just making a general statement. My experience is that with any shop some people will get good service, some bad, and some will be unhappy as their expectations for a product or service will not have been met. Apologies if it came across badly.

Hi everyone

I have read with interest the recent comments posted here. You may or may not be aware that approximately six months ago, we had a change of management structure at the Sheffield store, with an associated change of culture and mindset. We were very aware of our poor reputation amongst a significant proportion of the local cycling community, and it is our determination to re-engage with all cyclists in the city, from complete beginners to veteran racing whippets!

The problems with stock and orders that we have had in recent years, due to our un-preparedness for the huge expansion in our online mail order business, are now reduced to a bearable level. We are by no means perfect, and any organisation that has human beings at its heart will always suffer from flaws, but you can be assured that we are in a daily battle to improve our standards of service and the physical layout and product availability in our store.

We now have a long term, established staff team with huge experience in the industry - most of whom are passionate cyclists themselves. There will always be somebody in-store who has the background knowledge to answer your queries or problems - just ask and we will take you to the most appropriate staff member. It will always be unrealistic to to expect someone to be an expert on both full sus D/H bikes and traditional steel-frame tourers, although we have some folk who are!

We are making an effort to support local cycle events through sponsorship, tech support etc, and it is our hope that this will grow over the coming years. We have equipped ourselves with eazi-ups and other kit to facilitate this, and we are now supporting several local road and MTB teams.

These are difficult times in retailing generally - we are very aware that every customer is precious, and that our competition locally has grown in recent times, but we also believe that cycling has a key role to play in the future of urban transportation, and in keeping us all healthy and fit in an increasingly sedentary world. To those of you who may have had poor service in the past, please do not write us off because of previous experience - we are trying very hard to be the LBS that you would want - a local business selling what you want at the right price, with friendly, efficient service (although we still may struggle with five to nine on a Monday morning...)

Buck

Guru
I bought my eldest a bike on Saturday.bothmy LBS had very poor stock levels due to Christmas sales so, after checking the Internet we ventured 30 mins away to Sheffield.

JE James were very keenly priced and had all 3 bikes on our short list in stock and my son was able to try all three.

The Sheffield store was very busy and the staff were working hard to keep everyone happy and deal with queries.

We decided on the bike and they set it up whilst we waited. I used the time to look at and try bikes for me and they were able to answer all my questions and give advice.

All in all 8 out of 10.

bainy16

I bought my eldest a bike on Saturday.bothmy LBS had very poor stock levels due to Christmas sales so, after checking the Internet we ventured 30 mins away to Sheffield.

JE James were very keenly priced and had all 3 bikes on our short list in stock and my son was able to try all three.

The Sheffield store was very busy and the staff were working hard to keep everyone happy and deal with queries.

We decided on the bike and they set it up whilst we waited. I used the time to look at and try bikes for me and they were able to answer all my questions and give advice.

All in all 8 out of 10.
they also price match so check online first great bike shop IMO......but each to there own i got my bike from them last year £200 cheaper else where so they matched it (rotherham branch)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I know this is an old thread but just to add my tu'pence. I bought a bike from the Chesterfield branch in autumn 2010. I found the deal online but called into the store for the touchy-feely bit. Although I had some problems with wheels failing after about 10 months, which was never properly resolved, I still feel the store bent over backwards to try and fix the problem. In the end I built my own wheels but this was due to me being fed up with travelling across the Pennines than any lack of willingness from the shop.

IMO I got good customer service at a great, competitive price. The unfortunate fact is that you can't beat conducting a deal in person. That way you know you only hand over the cash when the goods are in stock and you have had a good squeeze!

Edit: I bought another bike about a year later and decided it would be more convienient to buy 'local' in case I had any similar problems. Ironically, despite spending £60-£70 more than the Wiggle online price, this new bike never missed a beat and has never revisted the sellers premises.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Internet reviews-can you trust them 100%?
Some irate, twisted individual sat at home (a bit like me!)
My father in law owns a caravan park, he has some shocking reviews online. He knows who has made them, and says that they're the type of customer who is out for discount, out to catch you out and generally be spiteful, unlike 99% of decent customers.
And the big trouble is that the business has NO editorial control on these comments. Maybe JEJ should set up a website rating local cyclists on manners, dress sense,riding prowess, mechanical prowess, how big their "thingy" is........
I ordered 2 tyres From JEJ on Thursday. they were at my house at 10am yesterday- I certainly can't complain!

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Internet reviews-can you trust them 100%?
Some irate, twisted individual sat at home (a bit like me!)
My father in law owns a caravan park, he has some shocking reviews online. He knows who has made them, and says that they're the type of customer who is out for discount, out to catch you out and generally be spiteful, unlike 99% of decent customers.
And the big trouble is that the business has NO editorial control on these comments. Maybe JEJ should set up a website rating local cyclists on manners, dress sense,riding prowess, mechanical prowess, how big their "thingy" is........
I ordered 2 tyres From JEJ on Thursday. they were at my house at 10am yesterday- I certainly can't complain!

People who suffer bad service are more likely to feel compelled to write a review than those receiving good service. I know there was a study published showing this, but can't remember where/when, so there's a bit of statistical bias going on.

Servicemycycle

Its life Jim but not as we know it!
I've used them for mail order delivered the bike the next day, when a shifter failed they sent a replacement without quibble, if I didn't have the trade access I have now I would 100% use again.

Muscleflex

I'll update as well. I placed my first order with them for a kids' bike rear wheel on the 18th. a week later and still nothing.
I've just sent them an email now to chase up any updates but this is stupid. I should have stuck with CRC.
I only wish I had seen this thread first before I ordered.