Job Application Form help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
"Tell us about your ability to work effectively as part of a team, how you would deal with conflict and your ability to act decisively, particularly in challenging situations"

Well I don't recall resorting to swearing or violence. Will that do ? Maybe not...

Any ideas for some nice words appreciated

Danny

Legendary Member
You need to stress you ability both to contribute clear ideas and direction to the team, and listen and learn from others.

Also you ability to be aware when other members of the team are stressed or struggling and to provide them with appropriate support and encouragement.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Conflict = find out what is at the root of the problem and come up with a solution which resolves it and get the disputing parties to agree. If the problem is between you and another then speak to that individual and come to a solution together.

The second part "act decisively etc" is just a waffle question but one answer could be to make a quick assessment and stick in an initial solution (which could even be "Stop working") pending a rapid review of the whole situation to come up with something lasting.

Quite how you translate that into management-speak bollocks I don't know.

domtyler

Über Member
The trick is to spend some time thinking about what those terms actually mean. Team-work for example, think about times when you have had some experiences of two or more people working effectively as a team and how that felt to you. It doesn't have to be within a work situation either, you can draw on any experiences from outside too.

Then relate those experiences to the person you are writing to.

While we're at it (and without wishing to hijack the thread), I'm applying for an HGV job at Asda. On the form there's a section for me to explain "why I want to work for Asda". Well, I don't especially, it's just that their depot is a bit closer to where I live and I've heard their drivers have a pretty easy time of it and earn reasonable money. Can I just put that?:biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Rhythm Thief said:
While we're at it (and without wishing to hijack the thread), I'm applying for an HGV job at Asda. On the form there's a section for me to explain "why I want to work for Asda". Well, I don't especially, it's just that their depot is a bit closer to where I live and I've heard their drivers have a pretty easy time of it and earn reasonable money. Can I just put that?:smile:

Or add that green is your favourite colour :tongue:

Rhythm Thief said:
, it's just that their depot is a bit closer to where I live and I've heard their drivers have a pretty easy time of it and earn reasonable money. Can I just put that?:tongue:

1. The depot is close to home and I can commit myself totally to the job.
2. The job has a very high satisfaction level.
3. The company's excellent management means that it ensures high customer satisfaction and profitability enabling it to pay competitive salaries to obtain the best staff.

That'll be 500 guineas.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Depends how competency obsessed Asda are. If whoever reads it isn't then Rhythm Thief & Patrick Stevens approach could work a treat.

I find it's like Domtyler says. Competency processes are just glorified story telling, you have to dig into real everyday experiences to make them believable and pad them out.

sheddy said:
"Tell us about your ability to work effectively as part of a team, how you would deal with conflict and your ability to act decisively, particularly in challenging situations"

I am no expert but you could try some of these;-

"I feel I have the skills to work effectively as part of a team because I have:

excellent verbal and listening skills;
the ability to prioritise and work in a flexible way;
the ability to change my approach to suit different situations;

I am effective at dealing with conflict and have the ability to act decisively in challenging situations because I can;

keep calm under pressure and consider things in a methodical and logical way;
listen to other people's views and opinions and find a compromise when appropriate;
make decisions quickly and communicate my rationale in a non threatening way;
influence people by demonstrating an open and positive style which encourages co-operation and resolves conflict".

If you can throw in a couple of examples where you have used these skills that would help.

Cheers

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I usually feel the need to reply along the lines of "who is the imagineless HR gimp you paid to write such dull moronic fcukwitted questions."

Abitrary

sheddy said:

I invent little real life stories to consolidate the skills that I tell them I have. To do this well though you need to be a bit of a fantasist or very clever.

Watch the film Reservoir Dogs, the bit where the black cop explains to mr orange how to lie well.

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
While we're at it (and without wishing to hijack the thread), I'm applying for an HGV job at Asda. On the form there's a section for me to explain "why I want to work for Asda". Well, I don't especially, it's just that their depot is a bit closer to where I live and I've heard their drivers have a pretty easy time of it and earn reasonable money. Can I just put that?:biggrin:

The only time I've every been disarmed by someone in an interview was when they said, straightfaced, that they were only interested in the money. That always gets a couple of grim nods of respect.

Don't say that on an application form though.

Top Bottom