JOGLE - May 2010 - Help or advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheCOCK

Hi to everyone viewing firstly and any coments / advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated obviously if its constructive :smile:

Early May this year Myself and a friend are attempting to cycle JOGLE, below is a route which we will be taking plus a short break midway to stay at home hence the 40 mile day... ( Added bonus living inbetween as only have 4 days worth of kit to carry in panniers each section )

Averaging around 90 - 120 miles a day, People seem to think that this is not acheivable expecially in hilly areas such as the highlands but when your up at 05:30 surely this can be done?

If anybody can offer any advice on the daily routes or which area's to avoid then please assist...

For those who are thinking of doing this and think they may not be able to afford it (Like I Did) it has only cost around £250 TOPS For all hotels and Travel (Booking advanced tickets 12 weeks prior) and staying in travelodges etc...

The Route

Day 1 - JOG to Inverness (Mainly A9)
Day 2 - Inverness to Perth
Day 3 - Perth to Lockerbie (Outskirts of Edingburgh roads)
Day 4 - Lockerbie to Lancaster
Day 5 - Lancaster to Wigan (Day at home mostly, Only 40 Miles) :laugh:
Day 6 - Wigan to Ludlow
Day 7 - Ludlow to Bristol
Day 8 - Bristol to Okehampton
Day 9 - Okehampton to Penzance (Or to finish if up for it)
Day 10 - Penzance to Lands End Early doors then train home.

Thanks.

It can be done Bianchi1 on here has done it in 6 days non-stop. His knees didn't thank him for it though...

OP
OP
TheCOCK

TheCOCK

wyno70 said:
Are you travelling fully loaded or fairly light in the panniers??

Fairly light in the pannier department - 4 days worth of kit either side of Wigan so ideal really, dont have to pack fully for 10 days. Just recently added the panniers with some weight to get used to carrying weight and BOY does it make a difference, normal commute to work just under 13 miles used to take 40 mins, now takes 50 mins, but as i say just started this last week or so, so got to get used to added weight i suppose. ;)

wyno70

You are right, added weight makes a massive difference and the less you can take the better.

I did an 8 day JOGLE last year and decided panniers were too much, so did it ultra light weight with a 'stem rack' and very little in the way of clothing, i.e. 1 lightweight pair of trousers and a shirt for the evening, a waterproof and a repaid kit was about it! I washed my cycling gear each night and there was nothing that I needed that I didn't have.

My suggestion is make it as lightweight as possible and go for it, panniers will slow you down big time and make 120 miles a day a very tough ask!!

My route was similar to yours, although I went Fort William way rather than Perth. The only suggestion I would make would be possibly to change the Ludlow - Bristol part of the route and go Bridgnorth Gloucester Bristol. It's seriously less hilly and you'll make better time. Having said that the Ludlow route is 100% more scenic so it depends what your priorities are!

Top Bottom