Josie Dew on "A Good Read" R4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

They didn't seem to like it though!

I enjoyed reading it, but can appreciate their critisism. She does talk mainly about herself and treats everything with the same tone. For example someone in the show said she described her near rape in the same manner as if she had had a puncture. . .

Also they critisised it for being a stapled together diary with very little structure.

OP
OP
just jim

just jim

Yes - the ladies take a disparaging "what did she think she was doing" tone that she probably gets all the time. The near rape description seemed more powerful to me for that fact that it was described in that matter-of-fact way.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
just jim said:
Yes - the ladies take a disparaging "what did she think she was doing" tone that she probably gets all the time. The near rape description seemed more powerful to me for that fact that it was described in that matter-of-fact way.

Totally agree, I could hardly breathe, reading that bit!

I suspect that radio 4 ladies aren't exactly her target market. I loved that book and found it really inspiring, to be honest! Boo to radio 4 ladies.:tongue:

ASC1951

Guru
Who is the female cyclist and travel writer who enthuses about the 'simple hospitality of poor tribesmen in remote communities' i.e. sponges off people who have barely enough to feed themselves let alone her?

That doesn't sound like Ms Dew, from her website, so maybe I'm thinking of Dervla Murphy.

Tasker

I think Josies' an individual. Can't say that she's be the first person I'd choose to go on a tour with but I can't help but respect her and would love to meet her. Why? Because she's got so many miles in her legs and if only she'd relax and stop being so defensive she could be such a guru for fledgling tourists like me and others too.

I would.

Top Bottom