Just a little reminiscing game.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Coppi was upfront about his use of drugs, particularly "la bomba", a mix of caffeine, cola and amphetamine pills.
My dad told me once that when he was racing, and this was just before the war, that some of his contempories used to take coca cola and aspirins. But my dad also used to smoke 20+ a day, so I doubt that it helped much.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My dad told me once that when he was racing, and this was just before the war, that some of his contempories used to take coca cola and aspirins. But my dad also used to smoke 20+ a day, so I doubt that it helped much.
They'd be ok these days as aspirin is not a prohibited substance. Although gawd knows what was in Coca Cola at the time.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
They'd be ok these days as aspirin is not a prohibited substance. Although gawd knows what was in Coca Cola at the time.
Ahem ! l have to admit that as a youth in the early sixties l had been known to try the concoction . The received wisdom was that it produced a cheap (and legal) high ! It's not true but the idea produced a psychosomatic effect which made you feel good. What is true though and this is where the competitive cycling fraternity got it right is that the aspirin combined with the caffeine in coke increased the pain killer effect of the aspirin. So if you were suffering in a bike race it made sense ...rehydration from coke combined with killing the pain in your body from pushing hard in the race . ^_^

Top Bottom