Just bought this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

I've been looking around at models and I think it's a popular.

Also the original paint has been covered with what looks to be a black oily based painted, does anyone know the best way of removing it without damaging the original paint underneath?

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Done a bit of digging, looks like Hercules were part of CCM, and their dating chart show bikes with a stamp on -B---- were made in 1938 and my date stamp is XB514 making it pre-war.

Meaning it also has one of the very early Sturmey Archer AW hubs as they were only produced from 1936.

Rob Elliott

Regular
That's gorgeous! And a bargain even if it just gives you something to do on a wet afternoon! Good luck with the restoration, and I hope you'll post photos of the finished article.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been looking around at models and I think it's a popular.

Also the original paint has been covered with what looks to be a black oily based painted, does anyone know the best way of removing it without damaging the original paint underneath?
If the paint is an underseal type and a bit tacky white spirit on a rag might shift it, I have heard there was a wartime paint that was supposed to be removable but that may be hearsay, white spirit won't hurt though.

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Well just put some air in the tyres and have done 2-3 miles on it, no problems with the brakes or gears at all.

A comfortable ride too!

Thinking I might need to sell one of the others to concentrate on this one.

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Does anyone have any idea what this would be worth, only difference now is it has had a clean?

Have been asked if I'm selling, advised no as I was unsure on value.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom