Just came back form Vienna...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Markymark

Statistical reference:
http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06224.pdf

It's by constituency, so roughly all the data points have the same population. Oxford W & Abingdon and E Oxford are both eminently comparable with places like London, Portsmouth and Southampton.
It would be intersting to see what the effect was on business in the area having motorised vehicles restricted. If not noticable adverse affects, I wonder why it's not been taken up with other major UK cities? I would lvoe central London to be taken back form the cars/lorries during the day.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It would be intersting to see what the effect was on business in the area having motorised vehicles restricted. If not noticable adverse affects, I wonder why it's not been taken up with other major UK cities? I would lvoe central London to be taken back form the cars/lorries during the day.
Completely anecdotally - almost none. Motorised traffic in Oxford has always been pretty restricted, but I can't say I noticed a great deal of difference in the businesses between Oxford 20 years ago and Oxford now - the restrictions were really tightened up about 15 years ago.

There's still the same mix of small and national retailers there has always been, and as always they're mostly at the mid to upper end of the market.

Of course Oxford is unusual in that the city centre has a large resident population for half the year, and the main business of the city centre is education not retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom