Just finished European tour!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tedx

Started in the Uk, got the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland.

Cycled through Holland, Germany, Switzerland (Alps) France, Pyrenees, Coast of Spain (from Barcelona to Las Alcazares) then up through the middle of Spain all the way to Santander where I caught the ferry to Portsmouth.

Distance covered - 3278 miles

Did it on a 2005 Dawes Galaxy.
Ortlib panniers front and back
Loads of punctures, few broken spokes, new rear cassette, chain snapped twice.

Had a wonderful time with lots of ups and downs. Can't wait for my next tour, I'm addicted!!

Any questions welcome..

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Well done! Are you going to show us some photos and tell us a wee bit more? xx(

GrahamG

Guru
How was Spain? Particularly availability of campsites, road traffic, hilly terrain etc?

I ask as a friend is off there for a couple of months shortly and myself and the missus were pondering what it might be like in comparison to France (with all the municipal camp sites and double the amount of roads).

Anthony

I toured Spain in the summer of last year. We went from the Pyrenees through the heart of Spain and finished in Gibraltar. The route we took had very few campsites (whether this is due to the middle of Spain being less popular with tourists I don't know). We barely saw any campsites. However we wild camped every night with no problems, often in fields in full view of the road. Wild camping is alot more the norm complared with France. The roads were mainly of great quality and the traffic light. There were lots of big hills but generally of a gentle gradient (The heat did make them harder).

I would reccommend travelling through the middle of Spain if you like your tours to be a bit of a challenge, if you like remote places, 'with real' towns and villages (not the tourist towns of the coast). Be warned though, if you struggle with heat or not washing for a few days then best avoid the place, Unless you can afford hotels.

OP
OP
Tedx

Tedx

Sounds great, how long was that over?

I left on the 4th June - Returned on 20th August. Had a few days partying in santander. Great city!

How was Spain? Particularly availability of campsites, road traffic, hilly terrain etc?

Anthony pretty much summed it up in his post.

Spain is a wonderful diverse country. It's not for the fair weather cyclist. There are lots of campsites along the North and South coast but I only saw ONE riding through the middle of Spain. Spain is very hilly, not steep, but you can be fighting gravity for a long time before you see any flat or down hill. Weather is punishing in the south but gets better as you head north. The south coast is very flat and easy to ride, the north coast is very hilly. The north of Spain (IMO) is much more beautiful than the south. The thing I loved about spain was although it was very hot i found lots of freezing cold springs, fountains and lakes to wash in. Most of the springs are drinkable (they will say "Agua Potable" when drinkable). the small villiages you pass are beautiful. Spain wasn't the most scenic part of the tour but I had the best experiences there and met some cool people.

One more thing. It's best to learn a bit of Spanish when travelling through the middle or north. At least enough to know what you are ordering food wise.

AND STAY OFF THE MAIN ROADS! you will see so much more!

Garz

Squat Member
Great ride there ted, I bet it was an experience to say the least! Like the forum name btw!

OP
OP
Tedx

Tedx

Here you guy guys I uplaoded some pics. The uploader seems to scramble a couple of pics so not all in order

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/album.php?albumid=191

OP
OP
Tedx

Tedx

Kirstie said:
Looked fantastic you LUCKY man. You're going to have to explain the giant fork in lake geneva though :rofl:

It's some kind of art piece than was supposed to be temporary but became a permenent fixture of the lake.

On that note I highly recommend cycling Geneva Lake. Lots to see and lots of campsites.

OP
OP
Tedx

Tedx

betty swollocks said:
Sounds like you had a fabulous time.
I greatly enjoyed looking at your pics.
Thanks for posting!

Thanks Betty swollocks, love the name lol :rofl:

Top Bottom