Just got my first bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jabbott78

ATTACH]

Opted for a giant defy 2. Hopefully the picture above has worked. I went for the defy 2 as by all accounts the spec was decent and it felt right. Biked to work today, 6 miles each way and it took me 25 mins, no idea if that's respectable or not for a newbie. Felt tired afterwards for half hour or so. I've never cycled before really. I'm 35 and a touch overweight. Any tips greatly appreciated. Yep, got padded shorts!!
359iszn.jpg

Jaco45er

Nice wheels :smile: time seems respectable to me, but enjoy it, shaving your time off comes later.

Advice? Horses for courses but if you ditch those toe clips because the purists tell you to go Clipless?wear body armour :smile:

line71

Your seat looks quite low,i dont know how tall you are but having a low seat will cause tiredness and make you slow and less agile
Also change your tyres,the Giant SR-4s are garbage,paper thin and puncture prone,get some continental gatorskins on

fatCyclist

No idea about time, but as a newbie too, I'd say its all about enjoying it at the moment and building comfort and fitness. That's a stunning-looking bike. As you're commuting, you might need mudguards in the winter, perhaps?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jabbott78

Cheers folks. I guess my cv fitness was ok to start with but I am over weight. I'm only 5"9 but someone else mentioned getting the seat up an inch or so. It feels comfortable but I guess a longer ride will show just how comfortable. I have a Raleigh hybrid bike that has been ridden once that I bought last year and I think I might use that for the crappy weather days. I'm luck I have a shower at work so just get changed at work and leave my clothes to dry in the changing room. That's the plan anyway!!

eevvee

Nice looking bike, I would agree with previous posts 1) go clipless, 2) continental Gatorskins - I have these and fingers crossed, touch wood have been puncture free over 1,000 miles plus. Most of all just just enjoy your bike.

MarkF

Guru
Nice bike, you don't have to do anything, I use cages to commute so I can wear the same trainers to ride and at work, I am cycling to work not on some bleedin sportive................

OP
OP
J

jabbott78

Lovely bike, no need to make changes until your happy to do so, just enjoy it as it is for now.
Thanks . Really enjoyed the last few days but legs are achey! Just been trying to find advice on road positioning online as I'm a little unsure and tend to stay left at all times but it seems a strong primary is advised. Safe cycling everyone;-);-)

Top Bottom