Just joined

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hookys

Hi guys like I say I've just joined forum reason being I need all the help I can to succeed a challenge I am going to be cycling from Newcastle to Peterborough end of August in a charity ride,here's the deal I'm 47 and at 18 st not the lightest but have shed 5 st in last year I regular cycle to work 6.5 and home 7 miles I then go out on like I did this weekend on sat did 32 miles on Sunday did 22 miles then will go in week for at least 2 15 mile rides.i ride a Carrera kraken mountain bike with one mountain bike tyre on front and a inter tyre on rear I have no shorts or gloves and should I buy shoes with clip ons or what really looking for advice on how to maximise my cycling and achieve this challenge I need a training schedule too please help

HovR

Über Member
Assuming you riding is mostly on road, put some slick tires on your bike. If you can lock out the suspension, do so. Both of these things will really improve efficiency.

OP
OP
H

Hookys

You mean turn off the suspension ?? And with regards to tyres I guess there are 3 types full blooded mountain bike tyres inter tyres and road bike tyres ??????

HovR

Über Member
You mean turn off the suspension??

If your suspension fork has that feature, then yes for road use. This is because when on the road suspension will turn some of your peddling action into an up-and-down bouncing motion instead of forward momentum - Hence making peddling a bit harder. Oh.. I just read the spec on your bike, and it appears you can lockout (turn off) the front suspension, so that's good.

Regarding tires - smooth, thin tires are the most efficient for road use. You will probably want a tire around 1.5 inches in width, as I imagine you wouldn't want to go too much narrower with wide MTB rims. Something like Schwalbe Marathon Racers would probably work well.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :welcome:

OP
OP
H

Hookys

Cheers hovr Gunnar go out and try and turn it off on my rims can I put road tyres on or do I have to change rims I think on rear I have 26x1.75 does that sound right

HovR

Über Member
on my rims can I put road tyres on or do I have to change rims I think on rear I have 26x1.75 does that sound right

The rim doesn't mind what kind of tread the tire has, so it's all about the width. I'd suggest that as long as you don't go below about 26x1.5 you should be fine, and won't need new rims - Although I haven't actually seen what wheels you have, so you may want to take it to a reputable bike shop (not Halfords) to double check.

Psyclist

Über Member
Specialized Fatboy tyres or Schwalbe Kojak 1.50" tyres are the thinnest tyres you can get. I'd go for the Fatboys as they're 26x1.25" and have better rolling resistance, they most likely will fit your rims too.

As with the previous posts, decide on a set of slicks and lock out/tighten up your suspension first.
You'll need padded shorts and gloves but dont worry about going clip less until you get another month or so in then go for it.
Decent ride down to Peterborough - about 225 miles?
There's about 28 colleagues from work in Newcastle cycling to Paris via Purley (Croydon) and day two is York to Peterborough at 136 mile!
Good luck with your training and weight loss Hookys

Top Bottom