Just took a look at the wine list ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

We were in a fancy place last year with similar astronomical prices for wine, $37000 for their top bottle. I asked the waiter if they ever sell that wine, he said not often, but the year before one table of about 8 guys bought 4 bottles to celebrate some deal they had just made. With other drinks and food their bill was about $150000 plus tip. I asked if they paid the normal tip 20%, he said yes and the waiter who served 'em took a week off in Vegas and lost the whole $30000 on wine, women and gambling. Must of been some week.

I seem to remember a story from one of Gordon Ramsey's places that a similar thing happened with a group of bankers running up a huge tab - Ramsey waived the costs for the food and just charged them for the booze (then leaked the bill to the press).

I think it was also the case that up to 30k a bottle you got another one if it was off. Above that, you were on your own - so could be quite expensive to puff on flat lucozade.

Thanks. Interesting.
Glad to see they made you do some work before sampling their wares - fortunate you just missed picking the grapes, that is hard work. No doubt you would recommend their products - any you wouldn't?!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks. Interesting.
Glad to see they made you do some work before sampling their wares - fortunate you just missed picking the grapes, that is hard work. No doubt you would recommend their products - any you wouldn't?!

The last day of harvest was the day after those pictures were taken. We were invited to stay on to help and party afterwards.. but had to move on.
Their Blanc de Blanc was probably one of the finest Champagne's I have ever had the pleasure of tasting.

Tin Pot

Guru
Drinking alone tonight?

The relevant Comic Strip Presents clip "Bad News" is copyright C4 and not available on YouTube :sad:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We were in a fancy place last year with similar astronomical prices for wine, $37000 for their top bottle. I asked the waiter if they ever sell that wine, he said not often, but the year before one table of about 8 guys bought 4 bottles to celebrate some deal they had just made. With other drinks and food their bill was about $150000 plus tip. I asked if they paid the normal tip 20%, he said yes and the waiter who served 'em took a week off in Vegas and lost the whole $30000 on wine, women and gambling. Must of been some week.

I was about to use the quip "he squandered the rest"...

Reminds me of when I was working for <a large bank> at Canary Wharf. A couple of traders had a brilliant day (another team, another building, I didn't know them) and expensed a £30,000 night of drink and other debauchery. They were fired, not for the amount they spent - which was peanuts compared to the amount of money they had made the bank, but for going on about which bank they worked for and how they were expensing the extravagance. The bank couldn't afford the possible negative publicity, so they had to go.

[QUOTE 3930706, member: 259"]So you were stuck with the bill then?[/QUOTE]

I'm torn between the possibility of ever affording a 30k bottle of wine and being the sort of person who actually spends 30k on a bottle of wine. One I would like to happen and the other I would hate to be.

SD1

I have some very good Elderberry wine? Sold at auction for £8.50. Bloke who bought it was on crutches but was walking normal a week later. Think I will add it to that wine list. Towards the bottom end assuming they save the best till last.

Top Bottom