Keeping it Japanese?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daysnways

Earlier this summer i picked up a complete Knight Bike (Wolverhampton) off ebay for 65 notes.

The frame has seen better days and I'm betwixt and between getting it resprayed, the transfers are actually in decent nick and all the parts on it are in great condition too, especially the chain rings, rear mech, front mech. It is all a mix of Sakae Royal, shimano, Suntour from the 1977 period.

I've already spent 50 quid on getting the seat post unseized, bolt drilled out and the seized bb removed and replaced,...they had some fun in the shop with it.... nod to Fred Williams, wolves for sterling work.

It came with much newer risers, which i dumped - it won't all be japanese as the stem is 3ttt, and is nice, so i'm keeping that.

It came with Weinmann 500 brakes, which have had it, spring is crotchety, nice light brakes, but ideally i'd like some cantilever brakes of japanese origin circa 1977, does such a thing exist?

I've seen some shimano levers from the period, so that's okay, i've also seen some weinmann 500 brakes like new which would act as a direct replacement...sigh...not sure?

My sole reason for keeping this japanese is that the bike has red dot, lug cut outs and i've got it in my head that this model was the 'Saracen' model, that gave rise eventually to the brand saracen (long story), so thought what with the japanese name, japanese red dot, cut outs, it would be nice to keep it japanese...

I'm rambling...what you reckon?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Nothing wrong with Jap kit of that era, I rode loads of it on my bikes back then :smile:

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Weinmann 500s are pretty easy to strip down polish and rebuild, as for the springs immerse them in vinegar overnight then rinse and dry, spray with WD40 and wire brush em.

Top Tip
  • If you're not really sure about how they fit back together do them one at a time then you'll still have a fully assembled one to refer to.
  • A brass 'suede shoe' brush is ideal for cleaning aluminium (it won't scratch the metal as bad as a steel brush does)

GuyBoden

Guru

Some nice vintage Shimano on this bike you could use and only £100:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262629711951?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T
s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

thanks people, stevevw how much? pics?

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

I've decided to not keep it japanese. Thanks for the offer above.

I've got some Universal levers on the way and am after some Universal mod 77s to accompany them - keeping it as lightweight as possible, within reason.

Top Bottom