Ken Laidlaw Scottish Borders sportive Aug22nd 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

icon1.gif
Ken Laidlaw sportive 22nd August 2010
Hello and Welcome to the Ken Laidlaw Sportive 2010

Hawick Cycle Club would like to invite you to ride this event on 22nd August 2010

Due to the continuing interest and success of this event early entry is highly recommended, the event has been capped at 350 riders.

A tough challenge

With a distance of 165km and a number climbs totalling 2500m, the Ken Laidlaw Borders Sportive is a tough challenge - but there are several aspects of the route that more than make up for the work:
  1. The event is held mainly on well-surfaced back roads with very little traffic
  2. The views around this Borders route are fantastic, and in fact the challenge takes in the Samye Ling Tibetan Monastery, the largest Buddhist centre in Europe.
  3. We like to think that our hospitality is second to none; this is an event organised by cyclists for cyclists
  4. A beginners' route of 83Km is available for less experienced competitors
samye_ling.jpg

Rewards and facilities

1. Two lavishly stocked feed stations on the route
  2. Ken Laidlaw souvenir gift
  3. Customised medal with ribbon (illustrated)
  4. Showers and changing rooms
  5. Photos of riders will be made available on-line
    1. Images from the 2009 event
  6. Route card
  7. Broom wagon, mechanics and first aid
  8. Hot meal at finish provided free for all riders, in Hawick Rugby Club
  9. List of finishers will be published on this website
medal.jpg

Details of the ride

Starting at 9am( sign on from 7.30am) from Hawick Rugby Club, the total distance for the long challenge will be 165km (beginners' route 83km), and takes in the Tibetan monastery.
The longer route takes in the climbs of: Bonchester Hill; The Note o the Gate; Holm Hill; Eskdalemuir; The Berry Bush; The Swire; Woll Rig and The Leap Linns.
Swire and the Berry Bush are part of the Gordon Arms Trophy Hilly TT course. The Start and finish is at Hawick Rugby Club where Changing etc will be provided.
bonchester.jpg

Follow link for more information and links to enter.

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetai...06&eventid=383

View the map and profile here

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=75372

Contact the organisers

You can contact Hawick Cycling Club through either of these organisers:

• Hamish Smith, East Bank House, HAWICK TD9 9HW, 01450-372294
  • Craig Turnbull, 52 Orchard Terrace, HAWICK TD9 9LX, 01450-377857 / 07863599003

OP
OP
S

Seamab

I thought i'd start a new thread for next year. I intend to be there but it's seems just a bit early to sign up yet.
This must be one of the best value for money sportives out there IMO - and a really fantastic route as well.
Maybe next year the weather will be kind...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i did it last year and, in spite of the pissing rain, enjoyed it immensely. the event is really well run, has the best food i've seen on any event and the only traffic once out of hawick seemed to be the support vehicles.

if i'm up that way again this year, i'll be doing it again… well recommended.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
alecstilleyedye said:
i did it last year and, in spite of the pissing rain, enjoyed it immensely. the event is really well run, has the best food i've seen on any event and the only traffic once out of hawick seemed to be the support vehicles.

if i'm up that way again this year, i'll be doing it again… well recommended.
You could always do it with a child seat on the front - and a tagalong behind :ohmy:

viniga

Guru
Though I am very unlikely to be able to do this next year, I highly recommend it. Best value for money of all the sportives I did last year. May the weather Gods be kind...

Viniga

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
This is one I'm considering for this year, want to do about 3 or 4 events, sticking to Scotland. This would be the last one I'm planning as need to get some training in to be able to manage this in a decent time. Likely plan is Etape Caledonia, Trossachs Ton then Ken Laidlaw. :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
kfinlay said:
This is one I'm considering for this year, want to do about 3 or 4 events, sticking to Scotland. This would be the last one I'm planning as need to get some training in to be able to manage this in a decent time. Likely plan is Etape Caledonia, Trossachs Ton then Ken Laidlaw. :biggrin:
My plans too :wahhey: .

The Ken Laidlaw is probably the toughest ride I have done thus far, not helped by the pouring :rain: :rain: rain. I feel that I earned that medal :biggrin:.

I intend doing some audaxing as well, to help with the fitness, so I am ready for Ken Laidlaw .... but I probably have more time than you do ;)

Top Bottom