Keswick Sportive 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

A few weeks ago I was slapped off my bike by an ambulance leaving me with bad whiplash, plenty of scrapes, drained of energy, and one less bike. Question was, with so little recovery and training time left, how could I prepare myself for the 6-pass 105km Keswick Sportive ...

The bonus was I had already got myself to a good level of fitness before the accident, and the 3 week break I had actually seemed to benefit me in some ways. On my first ride out it was obvious that my legs had benefited from the rest, and had time to fully rebuild following the recent months training. I felt strong, and my only concern was the possible loss of endurance.

The other problem was the one bike I’m now left with has a standard double chainset with a 25 cog. In other words not ideal for long hard climbs. Only way round it was to use my training time wisely and do some of the tougher climbs in the area.

Enough excuses, on with the event. The distance didn't seem a problem, being used to longer rides, so endurance wise I thought I should be fine. It was the amount of climbing that bothered me.

Kitted up and ready to go by 9:20am. Not too many riders about now, with 10am being the latest start allowed. Suited me fine. My plan was to start out quite steady and save my legs for the climbing. After an easy week however, my legs felt fresh and strong from the off and my plan went out the window.

Unfortunately my Garmin was going tits up for a change, so all I had to work with was the current time.

I knew the first section of the route. We were camping at Braithwaite, and on route to the start we saw plenty of riders pass the campsite, so I knew the first couple of miles were flat. I knew that in order to get a good time i'd have to make the most of any flat sections and descents, so decided to build a good speed up to Braithwaite. The Garmin came to life here, so I reset it, however this meant not knowing my overall distance. So be it.

The first climb was Winlatter, passing the Forest. I quickly chose a low gear and span quite freely to try and save energy for later. Took a while to get to the top, but rewarded with a good long thrash down towards Buttermere. Despite the cloudy weather the scenery was stunning around here.

Turned a good speed up to Buttermere and I was now faced with a tougher climb. This one went on for ages, and it became obvious I was going to struggle with the gears I had to work with. The terrain was different to what I imagined and I was baffled by the sheer length of these climbs, let alone the gradient.

I'd passed a decent amount or riders by this point. Every crest I came to I was out the saddle and pushing over to build the momentum and then make the most of the bigger gears I had to play with. Its a tricky course though with plenty of sudden sharp bends, so a few times I had to really hammer the brakes. The road surface was bad as well, and it was a mental challenge to constantly focus on the road ahead and choose the right line, as well as staying aware of oncoming traffic on the narrow sections.

Honister pass was the next one, and I soon knew what all the fuss was about. It starts with a tight left bend and just goes up and up. The fun started here as the wind gave me a good kicking. I was already in the lowest gear available, and wondering whether I could manage it, and then the gusts started. My arms were feeling the pressure from pulling my body weight to the front of the bike with every pedal stroke, the road surface was poor which made it more awkward, and the wind was blasting at me from all directions which had me weaving all over the road. I was barely hitting 2mph and this went on for too long. Yes, i've done climbs as steep as this before, but not for this ridiculous length. A massive relief to get to the top and timing chip scanned.

No feed stops. I had enough fluid and food with me so wasn’t gonna hang about. The way I see it, you always get a good rest on the descents whether you free wheel it or pedal hard, so why waste time. This descent was a bit different however. Loads of technical twists and turns which had me throwing the bike all over the road, snapping hard at the brakes, and making sure I chose the right line, whilst avoiding oncoming cyclists and traffic. Not easy at 40mph+ with unpredictable gusts of wind. The road surface was knocking crap out of the bike, and I felt a bit uneasy that I was relying on an extremely lightweight carbon fibre fork taking such a beating between myself and road. It wouldn’t normally bother me, but on these road surfaces I did wonder. A while later, with aching arms I was safely at the bottom.

Approaching Newlands Pass I thought the worst of the climbing must be over. How wrong was I.
icon_eek.gif
A bunch or riders were congregated at the bottom looking at me as I came to a tight right bend. I was puzzled and asked if this was where I scanned my chip. “No, we’re just watching” looking quite bemused. They were shouting encouraging words as I passed them and the climb kicked up “GO ON !!!!” , and then a bit further up I heard “Contadoooorrrrr !!”.
icon_lol.gif
They definitely spurred me on, which frankly is what I needed.

I was now heading direct into the wind, and the beast looked gruesome. Most riders up ahead were walking. With the climbing i’d already put myself through, the ridiculous gusts of wind directly at me, I was questioning whether it was do-able. I was dreading it. It’s the first time I’ve ever doubted myself up a climb, and I’d barely even touched it. The higher I got, the wind became worse and legs were trembling. I was in agony but I’ve never felt so determined to keep going and not let it get the better of me. I was snaking all over the road, and at times my pedal stroke stopped dead for a split second before battling through the next stroke. It really was that slow. I don’t know how but I managed it, and the relief I felt near the top was amazing. My head was all over the place as I descended it.

I thought this had to be the last of it, but no. I’d somehow forgotten I had the dreaded Honister Pass, once again, this time from the other side. OK the beginning was not as steep, but the length was incredible, and I hated the view in front of me. I felt like getting off at the bottom, but I wasn’t alone. I passed a couple or riders half way up pushing their bikes, and they were so encouraging as they looked at the pain I was going through. “Go on, keep going! You’ll do it !!”. It felt good, and I didn’t want to disappoint. The last photographer as I approached the top was brilliant. He was practically running, sorry walking, along side me as I grinded with tears in my eyes, head throbbing, arms and legs trembling. “Keep going keep going !!!”. Finally made it to the crest and the feeling was immense. I had done it and I was laughing to myself.

Big grin on my face as I made my way along the comparatively easy stretch back to Keswick, where Michelle was waiting for me with a cheese pasty, what more could I want. I felt mentally and physically abused, but happy as a pig in sh1t at the same time.
icon_lol.gif

To put the wind into context, Michelle got chatting to a couple who told her about a nasty accident on one of the passes. I know exactly where they meant, I nearly got blown off the side of the mountain myself. Unfortunately a few riders DID. There was a bit of a pile up and one or two went off the side. This was while I was still out there, so she was thinking the worst.
icon_lol.gif
I hope they’re ok !

Finished the day off with a massage (sports therapy kind of course
icon_lol.gif
), which helped my legs a great deal. Well worth it for a fiver.

Time was 4h 34m, I came 26th out of 160 riders. Very happy !
icon_biggrin.gif
Especially given the circumstances. A few pints in Keswick was order of the day !

If you're thinking of having a go at this event, just go for it. Some of the most stunning scenery i've ridden through and some superb cycling roads. Just make sure you're fit
icon_lol.gif

Final thought, DO NOT TRY THIS ON A STANDARD CHAINSET
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Attachments

• icon_lol.gif
    icon_lol.gif
    336 bytes · Views: 33
  • icon_lol.gif
    icon_lol.gif
    336 bytes · Views: 35
  • icon_lol.gif
    icon_lol.gif
    336 bytes · Views: 35
  • icon_lol.gif
    icon_lol.gif
    336 bytes · Views: 32

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Great read. I did it last year and it was an average of 27ºc and stunning weather. (Un)fortunately, we've just had another baby and I couldn't make it this year. My mate did it though and got a time of 4hr 21min. He was hoping to break the 4hr mark but said the conditions weren't right - he's a Keswick resident so knows the roads quite well.

Well done on the climbs though, I did it on a compact with 12-27 cassette last year and share your feelings completely about the second time you do Honister. It was a really, really tough climb. I was hoping to go better this year as I'm about a stone and a half lighter and better trained, but I'll be doing it next year!

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Thanks. The last two climbs were hard to describe in terms of pain, I just remember shouting out in agony about 5-6 times before I made it to the crest, but the relief of getting up them was amazing and WELL worth it. Having done it on a 53/39 makes it even more special.

As for the wind, I completely agree with your mate. It was very dangerous in places.

I may be back next year on a compact.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Totally agree. The crest of the last time you do Newlands is bad, but it's nothing in comparison to seeing the road snaking up to the 25% part at the top of Honister. It was my first ever sportive and it felt really good carrying on up while others were pushing.

Not sure I'd have been keen on the wind, there's 60-70mph gusts up here in Scotland at the moment and I've not been near the bike. Luckily I've had ebay stuff to post (inc. a bike, old macbook etc. so heavy stuff) so I've got a valid "excuse" for bringing the car to work! :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
bravo.gif
SS,
bravo.gif
!

A very big CHAPEAU too !

[when do the men in white coats come ?
wacko.gif
]

Attachments

• bravo.gif