Kettwiesel - differential or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k4wils

I am seriously tempted by two Kettwiesels as a tandem trike. How important would the differential be with two trikes together?
Any comments would be helpful, the diff. is quite expensive.
I know that the Anura from Greenspeed has the diff. as standard, but I am not a great fan of the seat, as a Bacchetta rider I know how sweaty that pad can become in hot weather, and wet otherwise.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've read that they are less important, certainly the rear trike cannot suffer from wheel hop as to do so it will need to lift the front trike AND rider. Traction on road shouldn't be an issue unless you are using slick tyres. I had wheel spin from Kojaks on smooth wet tarmac on a 20% grade. The same trike on Big Apples has no such issue and thr front doesn't slide left as easily either.

Night Train

Maker of Things
If I could afford it I would go with the diff, but I am like that.

Having driven a one wheel drive Kett I found it good but there was a definate pull to one side and occasional reluctance to steer if on a loose surface.

With the aim of using two in tandem I would have a diff on the front one but diff or not on the rear one.

Not everyone is bothered by the lack of a diff so it is worth just having a go on one without to see if it is right for you.

Top Bottom