Kids and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I rather liked this article on the Guardian's bike blog today. Some interesting points, including the stuff on the "lost generation".

The last four or five paragraphs were unfortunately accurate, IMO.

Some hope in some of the comments, we are not alone! :o)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I just checked how many bikes where in the bike shed whilst picking up my youngest - and there were 8 which works out about 2.3% of the school which isn't bad on a cold winter's day. A couple of years ago that would have been 1 or 2 in the winter.

I think the more common bikes are, that hopefully it will become more of a normal thing to do. Parents are keen that their children do clubs (out of their hair but in a controlled environment), so bike club might work...

Dilbert

RichK said:
Really agree on the 'lost generation.' I took up cycling (again) about 3 years ago. If I hadn't I'm sure my son would be riding a bike now & probably never would.

It was the other way round for me, once son started going so quickly I couldn't keep up with him by running I dug my old MTB out of the shed and started riding again and then realised how much I used to enjoy cycling. Now got a road bike and looking to start commuting as soon as I can find a shower to use.

But I think you are right, most kids naturally love bikes, its the parents who put them off.

OP
OP
N

Norm

Me getting back into biking is completely my son's fault. He wanted a new bike in the summer and, when we went to get him one, I got myself one as well.

I have 4 now. :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I must admit, my kids are why I have a bike or two ... we used to buy them bikes as they grew - then finally one reached the stage of having a 26" wheeled size bike, which I started borrowing. And it went from there.

OP
OP
N

Norm

I should point out that 2 of mine I've had for years, one of them for about 35 years and the other for 20 years, but they have been dusted down, oiled up and they are all being used now.

Norm said:
I rather liked this article on the Guardian's bike blog today. Some interesting points, including the stuff on the "lost generation".

The last four or five paragraphs were unfortunately accurate, IMO.

Some hope in some of the comments, we are not alone! ;)

Especially this one:
"Bike Club was the beginning, now it's moved out of the basement, it's called Project Mayhem."

Honestly, these things make me depressed. Like Walking Busses, they just show kids that cycling is something you can only do with an adult fore-and-aft, and a hi-viz vest on, not something that should be as natural as breathing.

chap

Veteran
There is a profitability from fear thus its pervasive nature. Sadly, many cycle infrastructure set ups probably would be safer if they were ignored from the start.

However, this post, and the article reminds me of a recent blog-post. Key part:

If we are to see more young people cycling we have to make it feel safe and fast. The only way I can see this being achieved is if we adopt the Dutch model of segregated infrastructure. When parents feel cycling is safe they will begin to use the bicycle for everyday transport and children will be able to cycle to safely school. Cycling children will become cycling adults.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sounds like a scheme worth giving a go, certainly after bikeability. I think there is probably the risk of with all these things being associated with hi-viz and adult supervision, in parents' minds.

The tram stuff is worse than what they allude to (although they seem to realise this), for example a major service here is being replaced by a tram-train and they have just decided (perhaps in cahoots with those foolish scottish cyclists and the Manchester authority) not to allow them on, even though they are removing a service that was previously there.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I haven't read the article yet, but check out the photo! All those kids are in a good, dominant road position, and some of them aren't wearing helmets.

Whenever I see the training happening around here, the kids are zooming along in their helmets while the adults wobble around bare-headed. But everyone rides in the gutter and dashes onto the pavement if a car comes past...

Top Bottom