Kids bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Yes, I've just done all this and finally came down in favour of Islabikes (again). Can't beat 'em.

Jonathan M

I'm usually a dissenter when it comes to kids bikes on CC. My son likes riding, is keen to ride, but hasn't progressed beyond the level of Decathlon or Raleigh yet - having said that, he has a Decathlon road bike thrown in there!

My problem with him & kids bikes is just how fast he grows, and the fact that he is tall - already the height of an average 11 year old at the age of 9. Once he shows some evidence of being close to growth slowing then we'll look at some decent bikes, but by then he may be heading for the mainstream brands rather than the child specific Islabikes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But that was one of the reasons for going for the Islabike - previous off casts have only really been worth giving away ... or I may see if anyone may give me a bit of money for them... but I'm hoping that the Islabike will hold its value well... if not - he'll of enjoyed it.

But I can definitely see that it is a problem with a quick growing child... my younger 2 are slow at gaining inches and the one in year 8 is only just starting to outgrow her 24" bike so we will have got about 3 years out of it.

It also depends on whether you are able to pass bikes down the family too.

Gary D

They always hold their value. Just watch them on Ebay, if they ever get that far.

Totally agree with this.

The bikes linked to would be the equivalent of the CNOC 14 or 16 which sell for £140 or £150 respectively.

I have been keeping an eye on Ebay (as I have just sold my daughters Beinn 20 and a neighbours Beinn 24). There were 3 CNOC's on Ebay recently and the cheapest one went for £122 ;) :smile: The dearest one sold for £135 - only £15 less than new!!!

They might be a little more in the first place (only £25 in this case) but you will definitely get a lot more of your money back.

Gary.

Weegie

The Islabikes do look like the dog's nuts. However, they're quite nickable. An Islabike wouldn't last terribly long around here.

Would this be a usable alternative for a budding 4 year old cyclist?...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/16-quot-lylou-flower-34964376/

I gave one a quick look over at the new Decathlon in Glasgow, and it certainly seems better than the POS/BSO we bought her last year from Tesco. At least the brakes work and the wheels rotate on this one :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Weegie said:
The Islabikes do look like the dog's nuts. However, they're quite nickable. An Islabike wouldn't last terribly long around here.

I'm hoping that the lack of suspension, trendy name and flashy colours might make the local scum go for the next bike in the school bike shed - that and the big D-lock!!!:biggrin: I started the term carrying it for him and now even when I offer he is carrying it in his ruc-sac himself.

Top Bottom