Kids with Scooters wearing Helments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I was on the underground yesterday and there was a group of kids, with parents or carers. They were all wearing cycle helmets and carrying little scooters. What hope is there? I wouldn't be at all surprised if soon they have to wear them just when they are playing outside.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
What's the max speed you can get on a kids scooter? Judging by my son, somewhere between 5 and 8 mph. When is a helmet most "effective"? Around about 6 mph IIRC. So, not so silly after all. Better than forcing them to wear them on bikes.

Dan_h

Last year I took my kid to the park. There is a path that runs alongside the river. Between the path and the river is about 6 feet of grass. I saw a woman walking along with her kids on scooters wearing helmets AND lifejackets (seriously!!). The park has a fence around it and is set well back from the river. One of her kids asked if he could take his lifejacket off to play n the park and was told no, what if he forgot to put it back on and fell off his scooter into the river?!?! :ohmy:

StuartG

slower but further
Bit of confusion here? The claim (whether justified or not) that helmets are designed to protect up to 12mph does not necessarily invalidate their usefulness over 12 mph in mitigating rather than preventing injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom