Killer driver to have his sentence reviewed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
Having already killed one cyclist in 1985, Gary McCourt then killed another in 2011. He was banned for a mere 5 years, the Crown are now trying to have his sentence increased to a life ban and jail time.

The Sheriff who presided over this clearly comes from the Judge Nutmeg world, partially blaming the cyclist for not wearing a helmet. Perhaps he is friends with the judges who thinks that some young girls are to blame for old men interfering with them, and women who get raped are asking for it.

Fingers crossed both the Sheriff and Mr McCourt get what they deserve.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
It has been written before by me and others:

Would the judge/sheriff mitigate for the defence if a shooting victim died because they weren't wearing a bullet proof vest?

It has been written before by me and others:

Would the judge/sheriff mitigate for the defence if a shooting victim died because they weren't wearing a bullet proof vest?
It's not even always that, sometimes it's the equivalent of:

Would the judge/sheriff mitigate for the defence if a shooting victim shot in the head died because they weren't wearing a bullet proof vest?

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
On another note, I didn't know we had sheriffs. I thought that was an idea of our american cousins for the wild west.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On another note, I didn't know we had sheriffs. I thought that was an idea of our american cousins for the wild west.
English and Welsh law is different from Scottish law. They have sheriffs and procurators fiscal. Or should that be procurator fiscals?

Enforcement Officers of the High court are/were also 'Sheriffs' (under the Sheriffs Act 1887). They became High Court Enforement Officers under the Courts Act 2003, but are still routinely referred to as Sheriffs.

You also have the Sheriff for each county (again appointed under the Sheriffs Act 1887). Although mainly ceremonial they still have some powers.

For instance, if there are travellers illegally camping on someone's land, the eviction notice has to be served by the county sherif - seen this happen in Newcastle.

Top Bottom