Kindle V Books. My verdict.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
A few times recently I have bought vinyl LPs that come with a code for a digital download or a digital version is put in some cloud somewhere for me should I want it. Does anyone know if Amazon do similar with books? If I bought a paper book, and given the option, I'd even be willing to pay an extra couple of quid to get a digital version too if I wanted that.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Fair enough, but you don't have kids? Grandkids? Nieces? Nephews? Friends with kids? I'd like my children to grow up thinking that reading is important (or at least that it's OK to believe it's important) , not that it's just another app they can install and then ignore in favour of Candy Farm Crushville

I'd say it depends on how you bring your kids up that allows them to realise that reading is a good thing, not the medium they use to access the written word.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A few times recently I have bought vinyl LPs that come with a code for a digital download or a digital version is put in some cloud somewhere for me should I want it. Does anyone know if Amazon do similar with books? If I bought a paper book, and given the option, I'd even be willing to pay an extra couple of quid to get a digital version too if I wanted that.

I don't think they do. If you buy a paperback that's it. I will have a look and see if I can find anything out about it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Apparently not. There is quite a discussion about people wanting this though. They say it is unfair that people can buy a cd, and are able to download it as well in
Mp3 format, but they cant do it with books. So no, you can't do it at the moment

Chromatic

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3197603, member: 259"]Amazon Matchbook in the US lets you buy a cheapo Kibdle of books you have previously bought in dead tree format - I don't think it's available in the UK, though! :sad:[/QUOTE]
It will probably be available here at some point in the future, why don't they just get their finger out and introduce it here too.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'd say it depends on how you bring your kids up that allows them to realise that reading is a good thing, not the medium they use to access the written word.
So I can only relate my personal experience here and it only extends as far as kids who are two and a half years old[*], but I notice that children learn (not exclusively, but often) by example/imitation, and the example of reading a physical book - taking it off the shelf, turning the pages, etc - is way more powerful than the example of holding a rectangluar glass-and-plastic object and poking ones finger at it - which could be reading, could be flappy birds, could be online gambling

I'm sure that'll change when he gets older and more capable of abstract thought but for the time being I think he's much happier reading a board book version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar with the holes in the pages than I would be if he decides to put a hole in my android tablet. But even then, I think that having books lining the living room walls is going to make them far more accessible than having to ask to borrow Daddy's Amazon account

[*] not even that, actually. one particular child who is two and a half years old.

Top Bottom