Kinesis Maxlight XC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

I have an Inbred frame that I'm about to sell (top tube is too long for me) and was thinking about replacing it with a Kinesis Maxlight frame. Anyone got one of these? What are they like? Any recommendations on size. I'm 5'9" and considering the 16.5" frame. Will that be too small?

spence

Über Member
I sort of went the other way, had a Coyote HT5 - a Kinesis built frame - and have ridden a couple of Maxlights, friends have both an XC Pro and XC 120. They ride very well but I found them very stiff and unforgiving, especially the frames with the square section Easton tubing rear ends. I find the Inbred much more complient and a better ride over all.

Have you tride a shorter stem, On-Ones are designed with longer top tube and short stems in mind.

MichaelM

Guru
Oh go on then.....

What size is the Inbred? Which version is it? (standard drop out/slot/sliding dropout/456) Do you have the canti mounts to go with it?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
jpembroke said:
I have an Inbred frame that I'm about to sell (top tube is too long for me) and was thinking about replacing it with a Kinesis Maxlight frame. Anyone got one of these? What are they like? Any recommendations on size. I'm 5'9" and considering the 16.5" frame. Will that be too small?

I've got a Maxlight XC2, which has a shorter top tube than the Pro and the other more recent ones. This is the model. It's the 18" and the size suits me pretty well - I'm a 5'7" woman with long legs and a relatively short reach. I have a fairly short stem on it though, so it could suit a man of the same height or taller with a longer stem.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

I tried the short stem thing. I had an 80mm Inbred stem on for a while, which was nice on the downhills and flat but resulted in serious wheel lift on steep, technical ascents. Climbs I used to be able to manage on my cr*ppy old GT Aggressor were now really tricky on the Inbred. So I ditched the short stem and put a longer stem on. This improved climbing a bit but made the handling all squirrelly. I reckon, because it is a long bike, it means short a*ses like me can't get enough wait over the front wheel. I just reckon I'll better off with a shorter top tube. It's a shame because the Inbred is a really lovely frame.

It's a 16" vertical dropout (geared) Inbred, by the way. White one like this:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Not_Sliding_Dropout_31.html

spence

Über Member
Shame. I know about the front lifting but that's mainly my fault. Took off and sold the 100mm Floats that I had on it and replaced with a set of TALAS (80-125mm) I had and very rarely wind them down...... Love the bike.

Top Bottom