KMC X10 chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
For anyone that's interested, KMCs X10 standard chain, moderate quality i assume judging by its wear.
700 miles...it already worn to the 1% indicator.
700 mostly dry summer miles, cleaned and oiled very regularly (almost weekly). Doesnt seem much to me.
Replacing asap with a veloce chain...i fitted new cassette and chainrings with the KMC chain...dont want to risk damaging them as well.
Not particually impressed i must say..or am i expecting too much ???

- Baz -

Just thought I'd bump this, as I've just had to replace a KMC X8-99 similarly worn to 0.75 after just 600 commuting miles with no really big hills and regular mickling. Using Finish Line red top so can't be the lube I don't think. Not impressed either! Don't fancy messing about with Shimano pins, so I think it's gonna be SRAM next and see how we go...

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Just thought I'd bump this, as I've just had to replace a KMC X8-99 similarly worn to 0.75 after just 600 commuting miles with no really big hills and regular mickling.

Coincidentally I've just removed a KMC X8-99 from my commuter - worn slightly beyond 0.75 but have clocked up over 2000 miles!

I also have a bike with X10 - nowhere near 0.75 and have run about 700 miles so far.

What have you two been doing to your chains? :ohmy:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Coincidentally I've just removed a KMC X8-99 from my commuter - worn slightly beyond 0.75 but have clocked up over 2000 miles!

I also have a bike with X10 - nowhere near 0.75 and have run about 700 miles so far.

What have you two been doing to your chains? :ohmy:

I meant to amend this post....it actually did 1000 miles.
I do get out the seat and honk a lot, perhaps thats a factor, i rarely ever ride gently (in my own modest way).

Ironically i work in a workshop, so lube my chains really quite well. BUT...just maybe there's a factor in my methods (i say this because i just dont get how you can take such care of a chain, and it still wears quickly). I have used different lubes on the same chain, from Finish Line to soaking in engine oil. Perhaps, just perhaps the two aren't compatible if you know what i mean. If iv'e got this right Finish Line has a constituent that assists the lube to get right into the chain, then evaporates. Perhaps that is breaking down the existing engine oil...in other words they're fighting against each other.

The new Veloce chain is just getting regular cleans (wipe excess dirt and oil off) then soaked in engine oil.

Sometimes i wish i'd just got an 8 speed bike. 8 speed chains seem indestructible simply by virtue of their greater pin surface area. 10 speed chains (the three i've had) just wear so much quicker.

Chris James

Über Member
I had a KMC X10, which did about 1500 very hilly miles in all weathers before hitting 0.75%.

I replaced it with a KMC X10-93 (not sure if this is the same chain or not?) which has covered about 1000 British summer (i.e. not totally dry!)miles so far and has looks to be nowhere near 0.75% wear as yet.

I can’t recall exactly what was used on the first chain, but the most recent one has only had Finish Line Cross Country on it, and only been wiped. Never had any solvents applied, or any thin lubricants that could wash out the Finish Line. It seems to be working okay so far.

dodgy

On my winter bike I get about 1000 miles to a chain. That's mainly because the cassette and chainset has nearly 6000 miles on it. On my summer bike, I installed a brand new groupset on it in Spring, the chain is currently at 2169miles (tracked as a piece of equipment in Sporttracks). Once a cassette and chainset is partially worn, a new chain will quickly catch up its 'wear' to mesh with it.

That doesn't help the OP, he also installed a new chainset and cassette with his new chain. But it's something a lot of people overlook. I expect my next summer bike chain to last less than the current chain as the chainset and cassette starts to wear.

Top Bottom