.kml files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Further to a thread I started a few months back about organising a group ride, I'm deep into the planning now and have used a combination of opencyclemap.org, sustrans own paper maps, google maps to track the proposed route & have drawn it on the app called 'routemapper', which have saved it as a .kml file.

I'm hoping to share this file with the riders prior to the start, accompanied by a paper map, but prior to the ride itself I'd like to drive it to check for any obvious problems & check the route I've plotted is accurate, so I have two questions:

1. Can this kml file be used by cyclists using garmin (or other types) of cycle gps?

2. Does anyone know if fml files can be loaded to car sat navs (tomtom preferably)

Cheers

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
1. You can use GPSBabel to convert kml files to gpx format which can be used by garmin devices.
2. Answer here.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have downloaded the software for the second link & when I go to open the kml file, it says 'Unknown file format'. Any ideas?
If you mean the one to export to the TomTom, it is supposed to work with gpx files rather than kml! (I haven't actually used it, but that's what the people on the forum that I linked to were saying.)

Top Bottom