Knee Pain on Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
So I've had my Brompton for about six weeks now (it's an old one, ten years oldish) and I've upgraded the seat, handlebars, suspension and the safety catch on the back wheel as all were annoying me.

I've now developed quite bad knee pain (on the outer of my left knee) after I cycle on it (especially if I do more than about 5 miles). I strongly suspect I am cycling with my toes pointed in to avoid heel strike on the rollers behind the pedals (they're quite protruding and I've caught them once or twice and worried I'll come a cropper soon).

Would switching to the EZ wheels help? Are they less protruding or are there other wheels to consider? Also, are there any replacement pedals which may help?

I should add that I've never had knee pain on my other bikes before and with the seatpost fully extended I am almost on my tip toes in the saddle.

Last edited:

Pottsy

You can take the wheels off and reverse them - makes it a little narrower for avoiding heel strike. No idea with EZ wheels as I haven't tried them.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Easy Wheels are a worthwhile (and cheap) upgrade anyway, but the most likely cause of knee pain is riding with the saddle too low. As it's an old Brompton, it's possible the seat-post is slipping down as you ride. Check after a few miles.

If it is, clean the post with soap and water and check the tightness of the clamp (but be careful not to over-tighten).

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You can take the wheels off and reverse them - makes it a little narrower for avoiding heel strike. No idea with EZ wheels as I haven't tried them.
+1 this was the 1st thing I did with mine, it does make enough of a difference riding with barely any compromise when the bike is folded and stood on its wheels.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So I've had my Brompton for about six weeks now (it's an old one, ten years oldish) and I've upgraded the seat, handlebars, suspension and the safety catch on the back wheel as all were annoying me.

I've now developed quite bad knee pain (on the outer of my left knee) after I cycle on it (especially if I do more than about 5 miles). I strongly suspect I am cycling with my toes pointed in to avoid heel strike on the rollers behind the pedals (they're quite protruding and I've caught them once or twice and worried I'll come a cropper soon).

Would switching to the EZ wheels help? Are they less protruding or are there other wheels to consider? Also, are there any replacement pedals which may help?

I should add that I've never had knee pain on my other bikes before and with the seatpost fully extended I am almost on my tip toes in the saddle.
How tall are you, and what size are your feet?

OP
OP
CirrusDesAigles

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
I'm 6ft1 and have size 9 feet.

Where the pain is in the knee usually determines what's causing the injury apparently. Outer knee pain is usually due to foot positioning which affects the knee. These articles (and a few others) explain it well:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/take-care-of-your-knees-part-2-17445/

http://www.i-team.cc/team/index.php...e/info-tips/a-cyclists-guide-to-knee-pain-r18

It's just a matter of adjusting my feet on the Brompton to ensure they're not pointing inwards I think. My girlfriend said she saw I was pointing them inwards when we went for a ride on the Brompton on Saturday but that I wasn't doing it when I rode my road bike on Sunday.

I am hoping reversing the rollers or swapping the EZ wheels will help as I won't worry about heel strike but I'd be interested to know if there were any pedals which could help. Don't really want clipless on a Brompton as I use it just to dart to the station at each end of my commute and to nip to the shops etc, having to put shoes and cleats on every time would be pointless really.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I'm 6'2" and wear size 12 shoes, and don't have a problem with my heels hitting my eazy wheels, they come close but its not been an issue.
Check your saddle to bottom bracket relationship, not just the saddle height but also the distance your saddle is behind the bottom bracket, this may be different to your road bike.

OP
OP
CirrusDesAigles

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
Yes, I thought it might be this and moved the saddle as far back as possible on the rails, it was more comfortable but the knee pain continued.

Do you have the standard pedals? I read somewhere that the foldable pedal is a slightly different size so wondering if this could encourage an unorthodox pedaling motion which I seem to avoid on other bikes.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
On my brompton I added "knee savers" (I has the same issues - though I've size 13 feet) to the pedals, then I bought some big ass flats - the extra 2" fold width isn't a problem for me.

Top Bottom