Knee Pain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sawyer280769

I was a bit tired after my ride yesterday but not totally knackered. Went to bed only to wake about 0230 with a really sharp pain in my right knee. It was absolutely thumping. The pain is running down my knee cap (patella tendon?) I have had a lot of injuries doing other sports in the past and I think its tendonitis. Is this a common type of injury for cyclists?

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Hey, sorry to hear about your pain.

I had weeks of similar pain when I started riding singlespeed, as I was having to push hard in a higher gear than i was used to on hills, but found that with some pain relief, practice and time, my knees got over it. and strenghtened.

I found that anti-inflammatory gel works a treat on my knee pain, which sounds similar to yours. I have some Ketoprofen from my GP, which was for a wrist pain, but the gel version of Ibuprofen probably does the same thing.

Take it easy with the riding until the pain goes naturally though, or you could aggravate it.

albion

Guru
Also happened to me too as I turned over in bed. Unforgettable pain.
I had been diagnosed with Osteo Arthritis a few years before so this a cue to abandon an initial comeback attempt.
The long hill home on a road bike with not enough spinning low gears was certainly to blame.

A year later I got tempted by a new hybrid bike and things have actually improved after 2 years of spinning.
I do have my saddle higher but it is obviously not the prime cause.

Top Bottom