Knee Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Firstly a little back ground, I'm a regular runner, marathons quickest 3hr 30min and half marathons between 1hr 35 and 1 hr 45...

Always cycled but never big miles 40 mile being my max....

When out on my bike after around 10-15 mile I get a pain on the lower inside of my right knee..If I stand up out of the saddle the pain will go.The pain isn't enough to stop me ,but I know not to go much further....

The thing is I don't think I've got a knee injury because I can go out the next day and knock off a 10 mile run without any sign of any knee pains .

Had a bike fitting done last year so I'm a little reluctant to start altering my riding position..And this pain is a recent thing..

Any help would be much appreciated..

Stu..

If you only feel the pain when cycling I dare say then it's the cycling position that it's effecting it. That's not just to say that you need a whole new bike fitting but perhaps just tweaking the clips or saddle height?
Since you had the bike fitting, has there been any change at all?
In your self? Your bike? Your equipment?
If you had the bike fitting last year and the pain is recent maybe is just a case of something has changed with your body or bike/equipment and the change needs to be reaccomodated in the bike setting.
If you had the bike fitting done in one of those places where they measure you etc etc and paid a bit for it then I would go back and just ask for advice, they shouldnt charge you and might have heard of issues like this before.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
It could well be my shoes, on reading more threads on the subject. I've never had my cleats set up,just
centralised them on the shoe, I have had them a while now ,but my mileage is going up...

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Sit on a high seat with your feet dangling, the angle your feet are when relaxed should be a good indication of the angle your feet need to be on the pedals. Bear in mind it might be different for each foot

lulubel

Über Member
Thats the thing I can't remember to be honest..could have been still wearing my SPD's before moving onto SPD SL

The reason I asked is because any change in shoes/pedals is likely to change your effective saddle height. Even a slight change of a few millimetres can start my knees hurting, and just changing from summer to winter shoes (I use flat pedals) means I have to adjust the saddle height slightly.

The most obvious cause of pain behind the knee (which sounds like what you're describing) is saddle set too high, so it might be worth lowering it a few millimetres and seeing if it makes any difference. The fact that the pain goes away when you're out of the saddle does suggest to me that the problem is saddle related.

Owen Burgess

Agree with Lulubel! Sounds like your seat is a tad high. I had pain which I would describe exactly as you have above. I dropped the seat by 2cm. Never had it since.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Dropped the seat slightly..40 mile later no pain yeah ^_^ Thanks all ..:thumbsup:

Top Bottom