Knee problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill93

Hey, the last 2 rides I have had an aching pain in my right knee only, it only hurts when I put power through the pedal when im sitting down but I can stand up on a much higher gear with no aching pain at all. The pain is at the front of the knee, any ideas what it could be or how to stop it? Before this I had no knee pain and I put a little marker on the seatpost and it hasnt dropped down so I dont think it could be the seat is too low, could maybe putting the saddle up or down a tad help?

thanks

defy-one

It could.
Try a couple of mm higher or lower at a time.
Try easier gear and upping the cadence

OP
OP
B

Bill93

Went on a ride yesterday after resting it since I made this thread and it started to hurt again after about 5 miles, i tried moving the seat up but it still hurts and its only my right knee so surely it cant be the seat height as it would be both knees? Its really frustrating as my knee is holding me back from doing more miles. It only hurts when I bend it so I think im going to have to go hospital and get it looked at properly.

Have a look at this link Bill.
http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/take-care-of-your-knees-part-2-17445/

It sounds like Anterior knee pain. From a cycling POV the two main culprits are seat height and cleat position. In your case (being just one knee) i would suggest cleat position. Do you use a clipless system??
The above link has a pretty detailed description of what could be going on and some advice on how to combat it. Also see the comments below for some examples of people in your shoes.

Do you have a turbo trainer at all? If so then adjust the cleat a small amount at a time. Repeat until (hopefully) no pain can be felt.
Good luck.

i tried moving the seat up but it still hurts and its only my right knee so surely it cant be the seat height as it would be both knees? I

Depends if both your legs are the same length, but most likely cleat position. If you are bow legged or knocked kneed you might find that std cleats don't offer enough float in which case you could try Speedplay pedals. I have a bowed leg from an old break and found their Frogs ideal for longer rides.

OP
OP
B

Bill93

Im just using toe clips atm, it isnt the bike im sure of it as its only happened the last 2/3 rides and I have done alot more than that overall. From Last night it hurting from slightly bending it and this morning it only aches very slightly when i bend it as far as it can go so farknoes whats going on with it.

Im just using toe clips atm, it isnt the bike im sure of it as its only happened the last 2/3 rides and I have done alot more than that overall. From Last night it hurting from slightly bending it and this morning it only aches very slightly when i bend it as far as it can go so f***noes whats going on with it.
Might be worth getting a fitting for the bike as there are just too many variables.

OP
OP
B

Bill93

Been to the doctor and he said its due to my old trouble with my knees with the muscles around them being weak, said one muscle is alot weaker so the stronger one is pulling my knee too far to the right which is causing the tightness apparently. Gave me some exercises so we will see how it goes, thanks for all the help guys

Top Bottom