Kool Stop Salmon + Tektro Canti's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Royalrider

Hi,
I've read some good reports about the Kool Stop Salmons and want to try them.
I have Tektro CR720 canti brakes which come set up with a cartridge to take a pad.
Does the Kool Stop pads fit the existing Tektro cartridge or do I need to replace the whole thing and if so which one with. There seems to be quite a few choices in the Kool Stop range.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I thought you could just buy the entire bolt unit and that the Tektro arms would accept any of similar design.

OP
OP
R

Royalrider

Thanks MacB for the swift response.
You are probably correct in saying that the arms will take a similar design bolt unit.
The clumsy wording in my original post obviously did not make it clear. What I meant to ask was 'Will the Kool Stop inserts (approx £6.00) fit the Tektro cartridge' as this is the cheaper option. Or, If I want Kool Stop do I have to buy their bolt on unit, which is more expensive and depending on which you buy is between £10.00-£14.00 ish!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Royalrider said:
Thanks MacB for the swift response.
You are probably correct in saying that the arms will take a similar design bolt unit.
The clumsy wording in my original post obviously did not make it clear. What I meant to ask was 'Will the Kool Stop inserts (approx £6.00) fit the Tektro cartridge' as this is the cheaper option. Or, If I want Kool Stop do I have to buy their bolt on unit, which is more expensive and depending on which you buy is between £10.00-£14.00 ish!

aha, in which case sorry, not the foggiest, maybe drop in at a bike shop and ask

OP
OP
R

Royalrider

Thanks. I'll get them ordered. I assume the inserts come with the pins as shown in the link picture.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Royalrider said:
Thanks. I'll get them ordered. I assume the inserts come with the pins as shown in the link picture.
My set did, although the pads already in your brake shoes should have a set too (holding them in).

loz

Veteran
ah ha! I too need to replace the pads on my CR720 cantis. How does one go about getting the old pads off and new ones on? Is this pin system simple enough for a numpty to work out?!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Other tipsl

1) you might find it easier to get to the pins if you take the wheel out.
2) you need to push the pin from the bottom until enough of the "loop" shows at the top for you to get a purchase on, then get something in the loop to lever the pin out (I use a small flat blade screwdriver).
3) Recalcitrant pads can be persuaded into (or out of) the holders by squeezing the brakes on and moving the bike forwards (to get pads in) or backwards (to remove them).

Top Bottom